1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Would appreciate your opinion on which drakes to keep!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aineheartsyou, Oct 17, 2011.

1. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    These are all Holderread's stock. the WH were purchased as TSQ and the runners were purchased as rare runner assortment.

First, the WH, they each have a different colored leg band and I think they are visible in all but one pic.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next, the runners, I have two emery penciled runners and 3 blue fawn penciled runners. I know which emery penciled drake I am keeping so I am asking about the blue fawn penciled drakes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know they are not the best pics but they are the best I could get this morning

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    SERIOUSLY!!!?????? I cannot believe you posted pics of these beautiful ducks and expect us to pick which drakes to keep. SERIOUSLY??????? That's an easy answer. KEEP THEM ALL !!!!!! [​IMG]

I love them all!!! I'm no help. Sorry. [​IMG]

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Not sure about the WH. In the last pic of the runners the 2nd from the left looks like his tail is not straight. Could just be the timing of the pic but a tail that is not straight is a fault. I don't remember what is called, sway tail? I forget.
    Also, check standards for markings. It looks like more color on the head is called for, therefore, the one in the back of the first runner pic may not be a good choice because he has more white on his head. In the same pic, the middle blue fawn looks to have good markings. Look closely at them, stance (the more upright the better, think wine bottle) and coloring. Otherwise, go by personality.

They are beautiful.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  4. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

I could never decide what to get rid of. They are all just so lovely! When you do decide on runners you could ship the ones you dont want down to me [​IMG]

They all look great and as jdywntr said i would go by personality.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I have the same problem with my Holderread Silver Applyards. They look like they were run off on a xerox machine and I can't decide which drakes to keep.

However, something to consider. The Holderreads are cutting back and giving up some of their breeds. I decided to keep more of my Holderread ducks than I originally planned, because I fear that I won't be able to order more a few years from now.

I've also ordered extra geese for next spring. More geese than my original plan.

6. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    Oregon Blues - you just send me a pair of your Silver Appleyards and all will be well! Heck, I'm not even that far from you.... [​IMG]

7. DuckyMom

DuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    As for the runners I like the drake who is farthest to the left in all of the pictures. He seem's to have a nice bill and clean markings, but theyre all so beautiful!

Emily

8. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Im no expert on WHs, but I like the one in the front in the last pic.

9. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Are you selling, or giving away those WH drakes you dont want? What quality are they?

10. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Quote:I will be selling all of my extra drakes. I purchased TSQ ducklings from Holderread's so they are cream of the crop, so to speak [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by