would chickens and a duck get along?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SophieLain127, Apr 27, 2009.

1. SophieLain127

SophieLain127 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    There is a lady selling one duck and three pullets near my house she bought two ducks for her son but in ohio you have to buy 6 minimum. I was wondering if it would be okay to put a duck in the same area as three hens? It is a pekin duck if that means anything special.

The coop I'm building is made for 12 hens and these three would be my first.

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Yes, but they'll have different water needs (ducks need & love water to play in - chickens just want to drink & look at it).

3. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    We have two ducks in with our chickens because the chickens kept flying to the ducks, so now they all stay together as one happy family. They were raised together. The flying over was in their brooders when they were inside, but they are outside and all happy.

4. SophieLain127

SophieLain127 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    I was going to put a baby pool in the coop for the duck. I will have a rolled linoleum floor in my coop so I also thought about puttig a raised divider so that way I could put a shallow tote full of water in there for the duck, out of the bedding and then the rest of the coop would have bedding in it for the other animals.

They were all purchased together and I'd like to keep them together.

5. scalaway

scalaway Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    Ohio
    We've raised chickens and ducks together before [​IMG] -- We had a pair of just plain old white ducks -- from the feed mill of course [​IMG] -- We put them in with our hens and they got along just fine [​IMG] -- We ended up calling them our "chucks" because they ran around with the chickens [​IMG] -- it was kind of cute [​IMG] -- They're great pets--one of the ducks kind of bonded to my son and followed him around the yard, made for some very cute pictures [​IMG]!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by