Would clipping her wings help?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by UnlabeledMama, Jan 11, 2015.

1. UnlabeledMama

UnlabeledMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2012
    Western North Carolina
    [​IMG]

I have this little bantam and she keeps flying out of the run. I find her in the yard or the tree. All my other hens stay put! This is my first bantam. She came in the the Meyer Hatchery Late Hatchers special. Would clipping her wings help? I worry about predators getting her and the fact that that the water is all in the chicken run. A couple times she has tried to spend the night in the tree and I worry about her freezing because it has been so cold and she doesn't have anyone to snuggle with.

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Clipping her wings would help keep her in. Now what you need to make sure you do is keep the predators out.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Clipping wings might keep her in.....best bet is to cover the run with at least chicken wire or bird netting to the keep hawks out and chickens in.

2 people like this.
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    x2

5. UnlabeledMama

Oct 9, 2012
    Western North Carolina
    It is 90% covered with shade cloth. It is stretched across the middle with ropes. Only the edges are open. Our run is 20x20 with a planned expansion this Spring.

6. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    Clipping her wing is a sure fire way to keep her in the pen. If preds can get into your pen they'll get her whether her wings are clipped or not.

7. UnlabeledMama

Oct 9, 2012
    Western North Carolina
    Our coop and pen are reenforced. That's why I am worrying about her getting out.

8. LipsChicks

LipsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2014
    North Dakota
    When clipping wings, you only clip feathers on one wing. Clip the first 10 feathers. They grow out so it needs to be repeated. By clipping just one side, they're thrown off balance when they try to fly. I clipped my bantams and they still got out. I had to cover the remaining places where they could get out. I just used the netting used to protect fruit trees. I bought it at TSC. one of my little Belgian de' Uccle flew into the trees and was gone for over a month.

9. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    x3

I have a few good flyers and won't clip their wings because I don't want to further limit their already limitedl abilities to evade predators. Granted, I free-range and rarely keep them confined to the run but the run is fastened with bird netting that keeps them in and aerial predators out.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by