Would de in the food help in this situation?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gale65, Jul 28, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I got one of those auto feeders where the chickens hit the little lever and food comes out. If I remember to shake the bucket every day it's fine but if I don't, it gets this reverse cone thing going (food on the sides with a blank cone shape in the center where the hole is) and the food doesn't come out as much. Would de help avoid this?

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Would de help avoid this?

I doubt it.

That sounds like a design problem moreso than a flow problem

What type of feed are you using?​

3. gale65

It's crumbles. Right now we're still feeding chick starter but the layer is crumbles too. If it won't help I won't bother-I'll just have to remember to shake the bucket every day. I'm only concerned about if we go on vacation next year. I'm not sure if whoever comes to tend to them (probably dh's brother) will remember to do it every day.

4. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    Indiana = Humidity
    You should be fine in the fall and winter.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd probably try the DE, although I agree with the other replies. Could be it will flow better with the drying property of DE in it.

6. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

DE will help with a moisture issues but I don't think that is the problem. You'll need to construct a cone out of plastic or metal the same diameter as your bucket at the top and a couple inches at the bottom but not interfering with the mechanism. Place it inside the bucket to direct the flow of the feed towards the center of bucket.

7. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    They are a great system, but will not work with moist feed especially the mash or crumbles. Pellets work like a charm (dry) and don't get the "inverted cone" I agree DE will only help until the DE is also moist....

Is the bucket sealed at the top? If so perhaps a cup of white rice in a sock attached to the inside of the lid would help keep it dryer if just dealing with a bit of humidity.

This type feeder works great here in AZ with pellets if the one here in link below.....

Automatic Chicken Feeder

8. gale65

Yes, that's the feeder that I have. When I got it, I made sure it said crumbles would work (since that's all I can get here) and it did say that it works for ground feed or crumbles. I'll have to see about making a cone or something. Maybe something I can glue in there? What is a safe glue to use in a feeder like this?

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    When I got it, I made sure it said crumbles would work (since that's all I can get here)

Why can't your supplier get pellets for you?

I think that would solve most of the problems​

10. gale65

Quote:Why can't your supplier get pellets for you?

I think that would solve most of the problems

We buy from a very small store (it's a grain elevator that sells feed) and they only get Kent brand feed. We live in a very rural area (our town has a population of about 100) and don't have a lot of options here. I have had experience buying food that a place doesn't normally carry or doesn't keep a decent supply of and I don't ever want to do that again. One time I had to drive 2 hours to get the brand of cat food we used (we have since switched to one that is easier to find, but it costs more) and special ordering a certain brand of dog food and ended up running out before the place could get it in. I am determined to use feed that we can just go and buy without special ordering or jumping through hoops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by