1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Would domestic geese disturb wild geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by twinwillows1215, Apr 22, 2009.

1. twinwillows1215

twinwillows1215 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Lapeer
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm moving to a new house that has a fairly large (1.5 acre) pond. I wanted to get a pair of geese, but i found out from the current owners that a pair of Canadian geese have been coming to the pond for years to raise their babies. I would love to have geese, but I wouldn't want mine to disturb the wild ones' breeding patterns. It wouldn't be fair to them since they were there first. Would it be ok to get geese or should I just stick with my chickens and ducks? Also, would one breed be better than the others?

2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    At my last job, there was a pond full of different duck, eese and tons of wild geese, they seemed to live in harmony!

3. tileman@prodigBird Raiser

tileman@prodigBird Raiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    My canadians get along with my sebastopol well but I got themas goslings the same time. Try hang out the each other all the time. I noticed though my Muscovy male chases and fights with my Canadians.

4. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Wild and domestic geese can interbreed, so if you're worried about that, sadly I'd refrain from getting geese.

I'll try to find the site with pictures...
    I know it's around somewhere... [​IMG]

Found a similar site!

[​IMG]

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/crows/domgeese.htm

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Interesting.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The canadian geese are wild and seasonal. They come and go at will.

I would get my own geese who live their year round.

While some people like to see the geese come and go I am of the mind that if they don't like the change in habitat the wild geese will move on. You can't be sure it is the same wild geese coming back yearly either.

Do what you want. Not what someone else (human or goose) expects you to do.

If I had a new pond I would surely put my own geese and ducks there.

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes they will still return to nest even with your geese there, but swans will chase them away. They wil not cross with your because they pair up for life. Now their young could pair up with one of your.

8. twinwillows1215

twinwillows1215 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Lapeer
    Thanks for the fast replies everyone. I think I will pursue getting the geese. I'm new to waterfowl, so I'm definitely not ready for swans so that won't be a problem. I wouldn't encourage any interbreeding, but it might be interesting to see the goslings of that cross.
    Is there any particular breed you would recommend?

9. ShadyGlade

ShadyGlade Chillin' With My Peeps

In my admittedly biased opinion Pilgrims are the calmest, quietest & most personable of the geese. That said I also enjoy the Buffs very much because there is something very striking about those golden apricot geese against the green background - just gorgeous to see. But having said that geese are individuals and I've had nice and nasty individuals in the same breed. Look around, see what appeals to you in looks and characteristics and enjoy your geese!

10. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I will second everything Shadyglen said. Pilgrims are my absolute favorite of all the breeds. Personality is one of traits you look for when picking out adults for your breeding flock.

American Buffs were standardized by the same breeder who standardized Pilgrims. They're also nice and mellow, though I have definitely seen my fair share of snooty American Buffs after I bought a breeding flock of adults that had never actually been handled by people. Still, for having absolutely no real human interaction, the flock was laid back and quiet.

Other good breeds, though more expensive and harder to find, are you Sebastopols and Dewlap Toulouse (the Dewlaps only - standard Toulouse, while fun, are a meat goose and tend to be loud). I still prefer my Buffs and Pilgrims.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by