Would either cross produce a sexlink?

itsy

Songster
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
New England
So I know nothing about genetics. I have chickens hatching today (just went into lockdown and I've had two pop out, go figure). Father is a blue Isbar. Mamas are either cuckoo orpington or a red sexlink. Is there any chance that I'd have any sexlink chicks in the hatch with either of these crosses?

So I know nothing about genetics. I have chickens hatching today (just went into lockdown and I've had two pop out, go figure). Father is a blue Isbar. Mamas are either cuckoo orpington or a red sexlink. Is there any chance that I'd have any sexlink chicks in the hatch with either of these crosses?

Is the father barred? If so, you won't have sex links. If your cuckoo orpington is barred and the father not, the daughters will be a solid color and the boys wil be barred. They should have a head spot when hatched so you should be able to sex them right away. Of course, to muddy the waters, the spots could be so small as to be nonexistent, but hopebully you can tell them apart.

Which gender will have the spot and which gender will not? Thanks for your help! I didn't think blue isbars came barred, so I'm thinking they will be sexlink....

Well that's an interesting turn of events. One of the chicks was just born with black skin and feet. I know the woman I got the two hens from also has silkies, so now I'm wondering if my girls were also mated by a silkie roo.

Another question that I should probably already know the answer to. If the girls mated with the Isbar rooster and the silkie rooster, are there still odds that the resulting offspring will be from both roosters? Or do I just assume that the one hen is laying eggs from the silkie and the other is still potentially laying eggs from the Isbar?

The other two so far are mainly black with yellow wing tips and a little yellow on the belly with pink skin.

Back
Top Bottom