Would Electric Heat Tape keep snow/ice off poultry wire roof?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NewOldMotherHen, Oct 31, 2011.

1. NewOldMotherHen

NewOldMotherHen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    On Saturday we had a rare October snow on the eastcoast. It was wet and heavy and clung to every surface including the poultry wire roof on my chicken yard. It was so heavy it started causing my concreted 4 X 4 posts to lean inward. It caused the pen gate to go so crooked that I had to unscrew the latch to get inside the pen. I had to use a shovel to push up on the wire inside to make the snow fall off. This will be my first chicken winter so I don't know how to deal with this. Does anyone know if a length of electric heat tape lying ontop of a 20 x 20 foot poultry wire roof would keep snow and ice melted off? I would run it over, across, and back.

2. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

I really doubt it. My experience with them is that they don't put out much heat and it's really localized at the tape. Maybe a large industrial grade fan?

3. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I don't think the tape would work. You could build some tee posts from 2X4s. Put them in there for wintertime support of your pen's roof. Take them back out in the spring.
    Jack

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by