Would finished compost work for litter?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mom2Four, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Mom2Four

Mom2Four Hatching

Jul 15, 2010
    Our local landfill collects the citizen's yard waste and composts it. It's great stuff and sells for only $10.00 a yard or pickup truckload. Would that work for litter? I am planning to do DLM. The 6 x 8 coop has a dirt floor and lots of ventilation. Any thought?

Thanks!

2. americancowboy

americancowboy In the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    georgia
    not sure about this. It sounds good but there might be bad things in the yard composte such as weed killers and other things. I think it would be fine though. but i wouldnt get too much of it.

3. mickistoy

mickistoy Chirping

Jun 21, 2010
    northern ohio
    i am no expert but i would guess no. sounds like you would be using "dirt" for litter and since alot of people have dirt floor coops and add pine shavings i would say dirt is no good for litter JMO [​IMG]

4. crperdue

crperdue Songster

Oct 30, 2008
    Lake Waccamaw, NC
    You really need to be making compost yourself, not trucking it in. Your birds will be putting out
    the nitrogen so your litter needs to be carbon. Finished compost should have almost no extra
    carbon to bind with your excess nitrogen, so its a bad choice in my opinion.

5. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Ours does this too, and there is some weird stuff in there, we found latex gloves, some metal, and stuff. A lot of seeds. We had a ton of morning glory in it which is toxic to chickens. I wouldn't do it for the seeds in it. Maybe yours is different, but since you don't know whats in there, I wouldnt.

6. Mom2Four

Mom2Four Hatching

Jul 15, 2010
    It needs to be a carbon. Of course! That makes perfect sense as does the risk of iffy seeds or toxins being in it.

Pine shavings it is.

Thanks for your responses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by