would first eggs from pullet be shaped funny?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by freshegg, Dec 10, 2008.

1. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    I found 2 eggs yesterday that where kinda long and on end very pointy, and they where light colered with dark spots. I have 5 golden comets that should be starting to lay and 8 rir 2 yo that quit laying 2 weeks ago maybe 3. do you think it was a comets eggs or do they come out like that if hens are only laying a occasional egg? (very occasional 2 weeks [​IMG] .)

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    There's actually another thread about this right now. I think it says something about bullet eggs in the title line.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  4. freshegg

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    yes I just read that thread and no real answer yet. my comets just started squatting and letting me pat them so they are atleast near ready. but it seems cold those crazy bird go into the rhoderdendron tree to roost instead of nice warm coop [​IMG]

5. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    I have had a few chickens over the years that laid very bullet-shaped eggs, and in most of those cases, I know it was genetic because I hatched the birds from eggs like that, reared the pullets, and then they laid eggs like that too. In one case, I had a BRxCochin mix that laid big, dark-brown bullet-shaped eggs for a couple of years before I sold her. So, in my experience, it doesn't have anything to do with their being pullet eggs, since those females kept laying that same shape their whole lives, but, with that said, pullets do some odd laying at first, so I guess it is possible. You might have to wait and see. [​IMG]

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hmmm, well all I can tell you for sure is that besides the pullet bullets I'm getting from one newly laying hen I also get other weird shapes. Quite a few are pointy at one end and also a couple of speckled (brown or purple speckles) ones at least a couple of times a week. Some of my hens have been laying for up to 14 weeks, others just a few weeks.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  7. freshegg

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    mystery solved they are turkey eggs and I just got one that is gigantic [​IMG]

8. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:CONGRATS [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by