would geese protect chickens

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
i was thinking of getting a roman tufted goose to live with my chickens, and i was wondering if i had a goose in the flock would it be safe to let them free range as im not home? do you think a hawk would bother a flock of chickens if a goose was next to them? and if their was a hawk would the goose attack it or warn the hens or just run away?
smile.png

I one of those people that don't really think that geese are much protection against most preditors. I've lost geese to owls - during the day light hours and to a fox and a neighbor's dog. Mine free range all day and are locked safely away at night.

I agree, geese are not really 'protectors' like you are thinking. They are good alarms usually, they will let you know if something is not right. Not so much as guineas would, but they usually sound an alarm. If it were me, I'd get a couple of young guineas to live with the chickens, so when you let them out the guineas would stay with them and alert the chickens to danger. Of course, the chickens would have to 'learn' the guineas ways, and there's always the chance that the guineas won't hang with the chickens, but if you get young ones (2-3 months old at most), they should see the chickens as their 'flock' or 'mamas' and stick around.
Get a goose because geese are cool, not because you think they'll protect your birds. If anything, my geese will run away if they think they are in danger, they won't hardly protect themselves.

I had 2 geese..... brooded and raised with my chickens. They all got along fine, but when freeranging they would break off into their own little group, often with the ducks. I lost bantams to the hawk even with the geese there. So no, I don't think it will help. I have heard a Tom will deter a hawk.... but I have not tried it myself.

From what I have seen with my geese.... they don't deter or fight off anything...... they just make more noise at night if something is there.

My main problem is dogs running loose in my area. I know that when my in-laws had a pair of geese years ago they would chase everything, including stray dogs. The problem is that geese are a little loud and chase everyone, including their owners.

One neighbor of mine opted to raise a Filipino breed of chickens (his wife is Filipino). He remembers that they are hardy and forage well, lay well and are a good meat source, and the cocks will tear into a stray dog and teach it a lesson! He lives next to a busy rural highway, the chickens are often scratching right next to the road, and he's even lost any to the cars; even the chicks!

He's offered to let me hatch some of the eggs to supplement my flock when my Rhode Island Reds retire.

Most geese will offer no protection against dogs: Just an alarm. Now, I know what you are saying about aggressive geese and dogs: My aunt had an Embden when I was little that ruled their farm. It chased and attacked dog, cat, and people alike. However, it is the exception and not the rule: Plus it just isn't worth having a crazy mean goose around for protection when it attacks you too.

I don't know what sort of room you have, but if canine predators are your problem a miniature or standard sized donkey would be the best guard animal. Those guys hate dogs and will make quick work of them.

As to whether standard non-crazy geese or guineas would offer hawks and owls, well it all depends on the specific hawk or owl and how hungry it is. My guineas will go after hawks if they get on or near the ground, but I have lost full sized French guineas to a Barn owl in broad daylight. So, like I said it depends on the bird of prey and how motivated it is.

My geese and ducks all let me know if their is something strange on the property. The drakes freeze, stand rigidly and begin to stare in the direction of the intruder: Then the duck hens join in. Shortly after that if the threat begins to move closer, the geese begin to sound the alarm. If it is a low flying hawk my oldest group of 6 geese run out toward the hawk with their wings open all while honking their heads off. If it is a small stray dog they and the ducks all go after it together. However, if it is anything else like a fox or large dog they run for the pond and paddle to the middle while all of them are yelling their heads off.

I know they are pests and people have a lot of issues with them, but I have found crows to be good flying predator protection. I have a large flock of crows nesting in the trees on my property and they are very territorial about their air space. They gang up on any hawk or owl that gets too close: I watched them run off a barred owl just the other day at dusk.

hi there yes the goose would protect them. geese are like watch dogs they will attack if something is in there territory. i have 12 geese baby geese chickens and a goat my geese are very protective even if the others are not there" kind"

Charmaine, your answer is the complete opposit of everyone else's who has ever answered on here. Our geese would no sooner protect a chicken as they would a duck. They will alert/alarm when something isn't right. They don't attack anything though unless defending their nest. Even then I can reach I to a nest. Even the more commonly thought of as aggresive African pair we have won't defend the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom