1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Would Hatching Chicks Help Her?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ClareScifi, Jul 19, 2011.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    My sweet 16 month old Barred Rock had an egg get stuck in her oviduct. She passed it, but I'm worried...

About 6 weeks ago she went broody and disappeared under the house, and I could not get to see how she was doing. The eggs she was sitting on were unfertilized and I was afraid she'd starve waiting for them to hatch, which would never happen... So when she came out on Day 5 to roam the yard I nabbed her and put her in the coop.

Now I'm wondering whether I did the wrong thing. Had she stayed broody she might have lost a good deal of weight. Being overweight can cause an egg to get stuck in a hen, so maybe my breaking of her broodiness was entirely the wrong thing to do?

She laid another egg today, following the stuck one I found this morning, and the second one had some discoloration, which worries me. It might indicate an ongoing problem with laying, perhaps based on her weight.

So I'm wondering whether I should try to get her some fertilized eggs in hopes she will go broody again and sit on them, lose weight, be free of the stress of laying eggs so her reproductive area can get a rest/heal, and she can have the fun of hatching chicks.

Do you think this might be of help to her? All feedback is appreciated. She has been off and on broody since last November, which is rare in a Barred Rock. Her sister, same age, has no desire to brood.

Clare

2. Snowygirl

Snowygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Mirkwood
    when you took her off the eggs so fast i bet she went into shock.......u could talk to GoldenSparrow....[​IMG]

3. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    It seems like a good idea, for her to hatch chicks. also it doesnt even need to be her eggs.

she could always adopt some chicks too.

my hen is going through somthing similar to this.

Please let us know what happens, or any info?

Sorry I can help more. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by