Would hatching eggs be ok on a train ride lol?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Smokin Silkies, May 11, 2010.

1. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    Im getting some eggs resent to me sometime. First hatch I didn't get anything. Some developed but never made it to hatch. So she's going to resend me a few. I'm from PA and shes from Oregon. Thats a loooong distance apart. Anyways, I'm going to Montana by train beginning of June. Im wondering if she sent them to my brothers in Montana right before I leave, if it would be safe to bring them home by train? Train ride takes 39 hours. I could bring them as a carry on so I know they won't be bounced or thrown around with all the other luggage. I've never been on a train before so I don't know how bumpy it is? I've heard they are very cold though. Any suggestions or help?

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I think it'd be fine. I have ridden AMTRAK many times. Not bumpy at all and I dont remember it being chilly.

Good luck!

3. Smokin Silkies

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    Ok thanks! I think I just may give it a shot if its alright with the seller. Thanks [​IMG]

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    That's a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time to guard a precious cargo of eggs. But I do love trains and I'd do it just for the fun of it if I could, lol! I would think they would be fine as long as you can keep an eye on them and they are well packed. The trip is pretty smooth by rail, really. Have fun!

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    P.S. Pay for a private sleeper. If it's like it was a few years ago, the sleepers include meals and that alone practically makes up the difference in price. And furthermore, you'd be able to set your eggs somewhere safe and not have to worry about someone tripping and falling on them or something.

6. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    I always rent the Deluxe Sleeper which has it's own bathroom/shower. Your meals are comped and you have plenty of privacy and safe places to store eggs. We love going cross country by rail [​IMG]

7. Smokin Silkies

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    Well I can't change the tickets. My brother lives out there and his ex and his kids live an hour or so from me. He takes the kids every summer. This year, last minute, I wanted to go out so Amtrak changed the name on the ticket from his ex to me so I can take the kids out and visit with him. He already bought the tickets and he can't afford a private room for all of us [​IMG] Although that would be really nice! I've never been on a train before so I'm very excited. Now I have to make a decision....Have eggs shipped to me from Oregon to Pennsylvania, which is far far away and risk them not hatching again OR have them shipped from Oregon to Montana and bring them on the train back home with me? I don't know which will be better? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by