Would heat light melt the rubber tubs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bock_Bock, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    i was thinking about buying one of those plastic tubs/bins from walmart and was wondering if the heat light which is a red bulb in one of those cone thingies lol it clamps on to the side will this be ok or will it possibly burn/melt it, also if i was to line it with paper towels will this also be a fire hazard with the red heat bulps?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    It's going to depend on a lot of things...

The wattage of the bulb, the type of plastic, how close the bulb is to the surface...

One thing you could do is a silicone baking sheet to cover any area really close to the bulb.

3. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    ok thanks i wasnt really sure sincs the light has to clamp on the side its a reptile lamp and bulg the 75 watt i believe

4. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I do know if you use a 250 watt red bulb it will. Learned that the hard way.

5. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    i used my 20 gallon for my 2 first chicks, but for a smany eggs that i hope are going to hatch a 20 gallon fish tank is way to small lol i might upgrade to a bigger fish tank as i dont want to take a chance as these are my very first eggs im hatching out

6. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

If you position it the right way, a 250 watt red bulb will not melt the plastic on a rubbermaid tub. What I did was cut out the top, and attach hardware cloth over the opening. I then clamped the heat lamp to a chair I had pulled up alongside the plastic brooder/tub, and positioned it so that it was directly over the opening and the hardware cloth rather than over any part of the plastic. The plastic barely even got warm. [​IMG]

7. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    ok im still nervous i will have to kep an eye on it if i do any ideas about the paper towels?

8. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Well, the paper towels will be on the bottom of the brooder, and the heat lamp will be around 12" - 24" above that, so unless the towels somehow come into direct contact with the lamp, there's not much of an issue there. Really, what you need to do is make sure that nothing flammable or meltable is directly under and close to the lamp.

9. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    ok i might just totally scratch the plastic tubawear idea i will see if i can find a big enough fish tank for my chicks i dont even know how many is going to make it

10. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I am using a tote and have a 60watt bulb I just make sure is does not touch the sides. Has not even made the sides hot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by