Would hens be happier with mates or in their familiar home

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Attila the Hen, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Songster

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    Greetings:
    I have 2 midget white hens. Sadly, I had the tom put down this week so they are without a mate. He had an injury--not disease. The older hen (5 yrs old?) keeps squatting near me to mate. I feel badly that I can't help her. I know of a good home that will take the hens. There are lots of toms there.
    My question is: would the hens be happier in a place with toms or would moving them be more traumatic? I am assuming someone here knows the mind of a turkey. I sure don't.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Farmgal101 likes this.
  2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Sorry for your loss. I think your hens will be very happy staying with you if you can keep them.

3. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Songster

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    Thanks for your response. I can keep them but don't want them to be unhappy unable to follow their instincts.

Joeschooks and Farmgal101 like this.
  4. casportpony

My three hens are quite happy without a tom molesting them, lol. Sometimes when mine drop on the ground in front of me I will massage there back the way a tom would, then I give a give squeeze to their tail and that seems to make them quite happy. I'll try to get a video of me doing it, lol.

memphis, m1chelle1 and Farmgal101 like this.
  5. Farmgal101

Farmgal101 Songster

May 29, 2017
    *Following This Thread*

6. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    I don’t have any experience with turkeys, but certainly hens are happy without cockerels. I’d keep them with you.

casportpony and Farmgal101 like this.
  7. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Songster

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    What a relief! I thought I was the only crazy turkey lady who tried to help out the hen. Even after I do my human/turkey imitation she continues to sit there waiting. I feel so bad for her. Really she is probably too old to hatch a bunch of chicks. She hasn't even laid any eggs--neither has her daughter come to think of it.
    Still, if you feel inclined to post a video I'll check it out. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.......LOL

Joeschooks and Farmgal101 like this.
  8. casportpony

lol, no you aren't crazy! I can see it now, a thread called "how to satisfy your turkey hens"! :oops:

memphis and Attila the Hen like this.
  9. casportpony

ducks, chickens, peafowl, or turkeys, mine all do fine without a cockbird around, and many seem to be happier actually.

Joeschooks likes this.
  10. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    :lau:gig:lau:gig:lau:gig:lau

memphis and casportpony like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: