Would I be able to get away with covert muscovies in my backyard?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by macmama, Aug 15, 2010.

1. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    After 5 months of having a backyard chicken flock of 7, my HOA somehow got wind of it and made me get rid of them. [​IMG] I was really annoyed, because the secretary at the HOA told me in the beginning it was fine, as long as we were careful of the noise and smell-- but I didn't keep her email, and I was recently informed that chickens were never allowed, and we had to get rid of them immediately. [​IMG]

I really miss the fresh eggs, and somebody at the local farmer's market suggested I try Muscovies instead. We have a 6' block fence, and a 15'X 15' fenced off chicken run. There is no way anyone can SEE into our yard, but if the patrolling HOA HEARS anything we'd have to get rid of them again. Are Muscovies really quiet enough to avoid detection from 20' away on the other side of a block fence? I'd love advice and/or suggestions from people who have them. Thanks!

2. kitkatbahr

kitkatbahr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL
    The hens are extremely quiet unless sitting on eggs or when the eggs hatch. Then they chirp to the ducklings/eggs. The drakes are very quiet too, but they make a hissing noise that is more audible than the hens when the hens are not chirping. Muscovy are definitely quieter than any chicken ever could be. I don't think you would have a problem with them. Of coures, ducklings can and will peep, but if you are wanting eggs soon, I assume you are talking about getting older scovys. They don't lay eggs all year though. They are seasonal layers and lay from Spring usually into the early fall. They are also very good mothers so don't be surprised if you get hens and they go broody. They won't be able to hatch them without a drake, obviously, but they will probably still want to try! LOL

I have muscovy, pekin, and pekin/muscovy mixes. The muscovy are the quietest of all. The Pekins are LOUD, LOUD, LOUD. The Pekin/Muscovy mixes can be noisy, but nothing like the pure pekins. They do get excited and talk when they lay an egg, or find something good to eat, etc. If you didn't see my muscovies, you would never know I had them except for wondering what that "hissing" noise is (that's the drakes) but from 20 feet away behind a privacy fence, I doubt anyone would hear them enough to notice them if you get a drake or two as well as hens.

Good luck!
    Kathy

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  3. mburpo

mburpo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Paragon, IN
    My Muscovies make no noise at all once they've grown up. The little ducklings chirp like crazy if they can't see one another, tho.

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Who was the rat?
    What I mean they didn't just find out by driving by. One of your neighbors, who knew you had chicken, must have turned you in. They will do the same once you have ducks. It really stinks that there are such jerks around.

There is a big argument for never buying a home with HOA strings attached. You also have to be careful within city limits, because they are considered lifestock and not pets. Country sites that fall close to suburbs can also be a pain. I know this woman who is technically only allowed to have 9 ducks on her 3 acres. They apply the cow farmer rule to all lifestock, and that is three per acre. Absolutely insane.

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Unless you have super nosey neighbors with ladders, i really don't think they'll have any idea you have ducks. I have a LARGE flock of Muscovies and they almost Never make noise. I have 1 hen that's not used to the dogs though so she will jump and make a short 'squack' noise if they frighten/get too close to her, but that's it. My boys just huff and puff and only hiss if they're annoyed and it's still not loud at all....

maybe they'll just think the hissing is a snake and run away and never come back? [​IMG]

6. H04

H04 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    I am planning on getting two female muscovys. My neighbors on each side sure wouldn't mind HOWEVER there are some cranky ones on my block. My biggest concern would be my two young children mentioning it to the wrong person. Its hard because you don't want your children to lie but yet Don't want them telling everyone and their mother [​IMG] I wonder if one of your young children mentioned the chickens to a friend etc...

7. macmama

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:The note we got said "during a routine neighborhood inspection..." So either the old guy driving around in a gold cart citing violations actually drove by in time for the egg song and turned us in, or it was the neighbor behind us. They have a 1-story house and can't see into our backyard, but they may have been annoyed at the noise... though our hens were really quiet (for hens). Our closest neighbor (whose house is 15' from the coop) said she never even heard them, which makes sense because they usually laid after 8 or 9, and she was at work. Our coop and run is actually on the side of our house, where it's invisible from all of our neighbors, though I'd love to let them graze our entire backyard.
    i was planning on getting females only, and ideally hens already laying. It sounds like adult females are the quietest, so hopefully we can get away with that. They can't possibly be as broody as my Buff Orps-- they were ridiculous!

Oh, and I'd LOVE not to be in an HOA, but with the current market we have no choice for now. Our next house will definitely be on a county island, without all of these stupid rules.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  8. secretquail

secretquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Have you considered quail? If you only have females, they make no sound, and lay an egg a day except in the winter. I have 9 females and have to compost some of the eggs I get so many. They are housed in a rabbit type hutch, around 3'x5'. It is connected to our deck, so there is no way anyone would know we have them ( they aren't aloud in our hood either;)) They aren't very fun...can't let them wander about, but if you are only looking for eggs, you might want to consider them.

oh, but be warned, if you get a boy, they are pretty loud. I keep a few roos around for the fertile eggs, but most of them are named after appetizers:p

9. H04

H04 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Could it have been your two young children mentioning it to someone?

10. macmama

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:Possibly-- but the only people they play with are our friends that know and love our chickens too. I'm pretty sure it was the neighborhood golfcart-violation-citer or our neighbors behind us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by