would it be a standard or bantam???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenbuttsowhat, Oct 4, 2011.

1. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    i got a question im about to get a black bantam cochin hen pure breed and i have black Standard cochin rooster pure so if they make babies what would the be called standard, bantam, or mix? they both r pure cochins so i just wondered when i start selling babies in the future and ppl ask what should i tell them hehe

2. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:Since the chicks would be crosses between a bantam and a standard, they'd probably fall somewhere in the middle size wise, and there would probably be variation in the sizes. I doubt that any would actually fall neatly into either bantam or standard sized varieties. However, if you bred those chicks back to their mother or father, you could either work on sizing down to get back to the bantam size, or sizing up to get back to the full standard size.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  3. chickenbuttsowhat

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    oh good i dont have to say they r mix or anything cuz i want to try to keep pure on my cochins but my standard size girls r still not laying yet but i do hope they will soon thats why i fige i would go ahead and get a bantam (cuz standard r REALLY hard to find in arkansas close by) and make some babies from my rooster [​IMG]

4. bigb-71

bigb-71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    be careful breeding a standred roo to a bantam hen . he could hurt her or even kill her thats a big size difference in birds . good luck .

5. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Yeah, they'd still be cochins; the sizes would be all that would be mixed, unless you're crossing two different colors/varieties, in which case, they'd also be color mixes. Either way, still cochins! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  6. chickenbuttsowhat

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    Quote:oh ya i forgot that Handsome does way alot i'll keep a good sharp eye on them and if shes in trouble from his weight i'll pull her out and use her for just sitting on eggs or watching and keeping my older babies warm [​IMG] thanks for reminding me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by