Would it be bad to take away my chickens light?

Chickenmomma12

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 21, 2015
Terre Haute, Indiana
I am new to owning chickens, and the people that I got my chickens from used supplemental heating with a red light. I Have kept the light because that is what the previous owners have done. I would really like to try and get rid of it. I am just not sure, with it being the middle of winter, if that is a good idea or not. I would really appreciate if someone with more knowledge on the subject could help me out. Thanks! I am so excited to be a new member to the backyardchicken community!

Now that they're used to it, it's probably not a good idea to take it away at this time. I've heard stories of birds having their lights blow or the power go out and the whole flock dies because they can't handle the sudden temp drop. You might want to let it be for now, or slowly go down wattages in the bulb so it's a gradual thing, and just don't put it out next winter because they don't need it.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 if you are using it already then, no, don't get rid of it this winter. You can perhaps get rid of it this summer.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Pyxis has given you a good suggestion about gradually reducing the bulbs wattage until your flock is no longer using the heat lamp. Also, if you have the heat lamp on a timer, you could gradually shorten the length of time that it is on. Either way, by spring they should be completely without the heat lamp. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

How old are your birds, and what type of weather are you having now? If they already spend a lot of time outdoors, they may not need heat/light.

How old are your birds, and what type of weather are you having now? If they already spend a lot of time outdoors, they may not need heat/light.

My hens will be one this spring. Our weather has been mild. It has been anywhere from 20 overnight to 50 during the day. But this is unusual for us at this time of year. We never know when we will have a cold snap either. They do spend a lot of time outside, and I have been turning the light off during warm days when I let them free range. But I always turn it back on at night.

Back
Top Bottom