Would it be mean to....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by yadaguhtoo, Aug 1, 2011.

1. yadaguhtoo

yadaguhtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Washington State
    I was wondering if I could get some opinions. I have chickens for the eggs, and some for pets I have no interest in eating the chickens themselves. Ive' read on here that chickens usually stop laying eggs around 3 years old. Would it be mean at that point just to kick them out of the coop to be free range (so I could have younger ones) and let nature take it's course? I have been going back and forth on this.....on the one hand they could be free for the rest of their days to peck around the yard ( until a predator attack possibly) or I could give them away to someone who would butcher them right away. I've even thought about building them a retirment home when the time comes:) I guess this is the only thing I don't like about having chickens.

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Would it be mean at that point just to kick them out of the coop to be free range (so I could have younger ones) and let nature take it's course?

Yes, yes it would. It's no different than dumping dogs. When they are past their prime do right by them by either finding a new home for them, eating them, or at the very least composting them. That is part of the responsibility you take on when you choose to keep animals.

3. yadaguhtoo

Jun 14, 2011
    Washington State
    That is kind of the conclusion I keep coming to also,I guess I will build a retirement coop and run :) Thank you for your opinion!

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    A.T. Hagan :

Would it be mean at that point just to kick them out of the coop to be free range (so I could have younger ones) and let nature take it's course?

Yes, yes it would. It's no different than dumping dogs. When they are past their prime do right by them by either finding a new home for them, eating them, or at the very least composting them. That is part of the responsibility you take on when you choose to keep animals.

x2 and it's in humane. They'd most likely get eaten or badly injured by predators. Predators can easily rip their skin, wings, legs, ect off with one swipe and sometimes the chickens live through it.

Please rehome or humanily cull them for food.​

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    A.T. Hagan :

[​IMG]

Plus, chickens don't just stop laying eggs the day they turn 3 years old. Their production goes down, but it doesn't come to an end. Just ask my eleven 3+ year old brahma hens that gave me 5 eggs this morning.​

6. cpwhip

cpwhip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Maryland
    I thought chickens that old were no longer good to eat? I'm wondering what to do when the time comes as well
    but I also refuse to waste anything. I make my own dog food from chicken, beef etc so I will probably go that route.

7. yadaguhtoo

Jun 14, 2011
    Washington State
    No worries everyone! When my girls get old I will not just turn them loose, they will be cared for very well. I just wondered what opinions others have and I really appreciate yours :) I really am a softy when it comes to my critters and would rather keep feeding and caring for them even if they aren't laying. I have a 12 yr.old Great Pryenees that will tell you that. Two years ago she decided she wanted to be a house dog (I think because the winters were making her bones ache) and now she sleeps by my bed everynight.....all my critters are family :)

8. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    Quote:still make good soup & chicken & dumplins . At the very least make your dogs happy.

9. lynnemabry

lynnemabry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Beautiful Lake County
    Quote:thinking about how you would "kick" them out.
    mine go where ever they want.

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    As mentioned, they may not stop laying, some don't for a lot longer than 3 years. If they do, you could compromise, let them free range but still provide a coop or a shelter with food and water, just no run. A retirement home with freedom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by