Would it be ok to leave my chickens locked in the coop for 3 days?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Iansmommy, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Iansmommy

Iansmommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Our 16 chicken are 11.5 weeks old. We are leaving in a few weeks to go on vacation for 3 days. Would it be ok to leave the chickens locked in the coop during that time as long as they have enough food and water or should I find someone to come let them out. Our coop in 12 X 8 and has 2 windows.

I'm just afraid something will happen to them while we are gone if someone forgets to lock them back in the coop at night.

Thanks

Leah

2. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Do they fight? If not, they'll be fine.

3. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Better take some temp readings at noon with the full contingent in the coop, at least, before you try it, I think.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Maybe because I seem to live Murphy's Law (trouble happens when least convenient), I always have checks on my critters - furry and feathered - twice daily when I have to be away...........
    JJ

5. Homegroanacres

Homegroanacres Chillin w/the Ice in my Glass

Apr 10, 2008
    Salem, Oregon
    Animals are a 24\\7 365 day commitment

IMHO you have three choices

Take them with you

or

find someone you trust to take care of them

or

Don't go

John

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd be worried sick and it would ruin my trip.
    Is there anyone with whom you could trade occasional animal care? We have a neighbour 2 properties down who needs dog care when he goes away and he used to keep chickens...win/win.

7. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I would find someone reliable to watch them. I just wouldn't trust leaving them unsupervised. As I've found out, anything can happen. My chickens have knocked over waters and feeders with very little effort at all, hanging feeders have fallen and automatic waterers have sprung a leak. It just isn't worth the risk to me.

We are going away for 4 days but my teenagers are taking care of mine and they know exactly what will happen to them if they do not take care of my girls properly! [​IMG]

8. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    as long as you have someone coming to check their food and water daily and the temperature doesn't go extreme in your coop, i'd say three days isn't too long for them to stay "cooped up". *shrug*

i wouldn't leave them with no one to check on them at all, though.

9. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    If they were my chickens I'd try and find someone to help out. The eggs can rot and it will get awfully hot in there even on cool days.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  10. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Is there any ventilation in your coop? Can you check the temps before you have to do it?

I personally wouldn't do it, but I suppose it *could* be doable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by