would it be ok to put my chicks in pine needles?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chloemama, Jan 20, 2010.

1. chloemama

chloemama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2010
    Northern Rhode Island
    I'm not sure this is the right forum - but I was wondering if pine needles are ok for chicks/hens. When they are ready to go out I plan on having their run on the edge of the yard. We have loads of pine trees. I don't know what variety they are... long trunks then branches at the top.

Anywho- I don't want to hurt the chickens and I haven't been able to find anything on pine needles only pine shavings.

Thank you

2. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    I've got a friend who keeps her chickens under some large pines -- they're quite happy and healthy.

I don't think I'd brood chicks on them, if only because they'd be sticky.

3. pacetruckguy

pacetruckguy The West Coast Chicken Whisperer

Dec 8, 2009
    Petaluma,CA
    I don't think it would hurt them. I have been thinking of filling the bottom of my run with oak leaves. I have been useing pine shavings but we have been getting huge amounts of rain for the last week or so. I put some tarps over the top of the run, but still it's beginnig to get really muddy in there. No matter what you use they are going to scrath to the dirt to look for food.

4. chloemama

chloemama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2010
    Northern Rhode Island
    Great- I plan on raking out a big area in front of the coop and covering that with a tarp or canvas, something to shade it and keep it dryer. Then the rest of the area just leave as it is so they can peck about and find whatever. There enclosed are is roughly 20x20 so they will have tons of room. I also plan on letting them cruise the grasser areas when I am outside this summer.

Thank you

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by