Would it be possible?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Tanichca, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    So i have heard that if you mix the buff gene with the barred gene you get sex-linked babies. So, hypothetically, if you mixed a buff silkie with a cuckoo silkie, you would get sex-linked silkies, right? Sorry im just a bit rambley, been thinking about this for a few days...

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Yup [​IMG] As long as the barred silkie was the mother and the buff was the father.

Actually, anything over a barred female will be sex-linked.

3. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Thats it, i need a cuckoo silkie hen ASAP! [​IMG]

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Its not a matter of mixing the "buff" gene with the barring gene, its crossing any Non Barred( and non white too since you dont know what genes they are masking) ROO with any Barred HENS, it has to be in that order, So yes you could cross any color sikie roo you want as long as he isnt cuckoo and not white, (though the whites may work if the arent masking barring,) with cuckoo hens and get sexlinks.

5. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    this is a fascinating study on genetics... do you think it would count as a biology credit if i asked very nicely and recorded the results? [​IMG]

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Haha That would be great if we could do that. I could really use a biology credit for my genetics posts and experiments too.

7. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Plus my Dad is an ex-biology teacher, so he loves it when us kids make up studies and present theses... now since hes school admin i bet he could get me an in! I need a cuckoo silkie though....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by