Would it hurt to try?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TinyTotsSeramas, Aug 4, 2011.

1. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    I have 2 button quail eggs that have pipped but last night someone knocked into my incubator, sending eggs flying, since then I have only seen one egg move but it has since stopped moving and I hear no more chirping... would it hurt to just peel away the pieces of shell they have already pipped through just to see if I can encourage them to hatch the rest of the way or to even see if their still alive?

2. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Any help?

3. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:Okay this is controversial... BUUUUT..... I helped my last batch hatch... Take some tweezers and gently peel away the chipped part of shell and place it to your ear and listen for pecking.. Or you might see a beak poke out at you. If you need to assist it further then just move mm by mm and make sure there is no blood.

4. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Well I went neutral on this and only chipped away what was pipped which wasnt much. the membran wasnt broken yet but I could feel them in there tapping and they kept peeping at me [​IMG]
    So only a small ammount of assistance. nothing to really make a difference, maybe 2-3 small pieces of shell chipped off. i could have kept going but I dont want to help them out too much.. the one that was really rocking lastnight before the mishap happened wasnt pecking that hard but the one I got a picture of the pip was tapping like crazy!! She's also a very loud peeper/chirpper!! [​IMG]

5. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    I am glad you gave some assistance and that all is well. [​IMG]

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Wet the membrane since you chipped the pipped shell away. If no blood vessels showing open a tiny hole in the membrane so they can breath and put them back and wait. Check in 30-40 min to see how they are doing, repeat as needed.

Shellie

7. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:Thank you for the advice!

8. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    I Just Opened The Membran And There Was Two Dark Little Babies Looking Out At Me :d

9. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    There is still no progression they have been in the same spot since I chipped away the shell earlier this morning... I have to keep adding water to the incubator cuz the paper towl keeps drying out (its under the eggs on top of the heat pad) which is makeing the eggs start to dry out. I also keep taking a damp paper towl and dabbing it onto the inner membrane hoping the chicks will kick start before the mambrane starts drying out again...

any suggestions on what else I can do?

10. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Anything? Please!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by