1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Would like feedback on meat smokers

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wynette, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I'd like to get a smoker for my DH for Christmas. I began researching, and am finding many brands, many different types, and lots of options. Please give me feedback as to what brands in your opinion are good, what options are nice to have and what you really don't need, electric versus gas, etc. I'd like to spend around $150-$200. THANKS!!!!! I'm quite clueless on this, and DH will be happy to know my friends on BYC helped make my decision!

2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    We have a Brinkkman (sp?) pit smoker...it's dual purpose. It's basically a large BBQ pit with a fire box on the side. You can build charcoal fires in the pit for grilling or build a wood fire in the fire box for smoking.

It's a really good pit and we love it but my DH has a lot of experience smoking with wood fire and he knows how to keep the temperature low while keeping the smoke flowing over the meat. I on the other hand wouldn't have a clue how to use it. I wouldn't recommended this type of smoker for the inexperienced person.

My daughter and her husband have one of the kind of smokers that looks like an old timey safe with legs. It's an inexpensive model from Walmart...I don't know the brand name but they love it. It's gas but only because they don't have a covered patio and it has to sit out in the weather. My daughter wishes it were electric but you can't leave an electric smoker sitting out.

In the price range you stated I don't think there is going to be a really big difference in the models...you would have to spend more money to get into features that are going to make one model better than the other. Basically what you need to look for is how much room you are going to need...how many shelves and the like. How rust proof the material it's built out of is and whether you want gas or electric. There isn't going to be any difference in the flavor of the food with one or the other.

If you get electric you don't have to worry about running out of fuel to do your smoking but if you get electric you will need a protected place to keep the smoker so that it doesn't get wet when it rains. Then about the only other thing you should look at is how easy is it going to be to clean and that should about cover it.

3. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Great - thanks so much for your feedback, BettyR - you've really helped!! [​IMG]

4. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Glad I could help!! [​IMG]

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    We also have a Brinkman like BettyR. DH has time on his hands during the day and loves to feed the fire. We like ours real well.

6. bluebirdfarm

bluebirdfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

if u r only smoking a small amount , there is a smoker called a cameron smoker and you put it right on your stove top.here is a link to onfo

http://www.cameronscookware.com/Stovetop Smoker.aspx

they also have other smokers , hope u like it !
    I have one and it is great , we used to own a restaurant and we used one to smoke our rainbow trout , they last forever !!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  7. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks, bluebirdfarm - that website even had a video! Neat!

Thanks, also to Tuffoldhen. Always good to get lots of opinions. I found one called a Bradley online that has really good reviews; only negative comments were that you have to buy wood "pucks" to use with this one, but everyone seems to think it's an excellent smoker, and good for folks like us who are working full time...but it's more than I wanted to spend. I've got lots to think on!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by