Would like help on how to safely band chicks with zip/cable ties.

Eliza1313

Chirping
Mar 26, 2015
I have glanced through some of the threads on using zip ties as leg bands. I picked up 24 chicks of 4 different breeds from the hatchery yesterday, and then 8 guinea keets this morning from the local feed store (from the same hatchery). 3 of the breeds were marked by the hatchery with colored dots. I will be checking on the chicks multiple times a day; checking for health, brooder conditions, and leg band tightness.

My question is, how much space should the bands have while on the leg? Can some one that uses zip ties post a picture of the on a young chick?

I have 6 different color 4" ties to use, however one of those colors is red so I most likely will not use it, but will use different combinations of the other ties to mark the breeds and individual birds within each breed.

Thanks.

Thanks for posting this question! I don't have an answer, but I want to know too!
ANYONE???
hu.gif

edited to repost Eliza's question:
My question is, how much space should the bands have while on the leg? Can some one that uses zip ties post a picture of the on a young chick?

Last edited:
Use common sense. You want it as loose as possible without it being able to slip over any toes and possibly causing injury. You're going to have to cut them off soon enough and replace them anyway, before they get tight.

Well we managed to get them banded a little over a week ago. Applied them like recommended, tight enough that they do not slip over any toes, but loose enough to move freely along the leg. I will try to post pictures later, on dial-up, so will have to wait until I go into town. None of them have out-grown them yet, keeping a close eye on them though. Will probably replace them next Sat., so I will take pictures before and after replacing.

I use wire cutters to clip off the ties, because it's the smallest thing I have that will cut them easily. But you have to make sure there is still enough room to fit the cutters between the leg and the tie to cut it off. So don't let the ties get too close to being tight.

This boy is older, obviously, and isn't normally tagged (which is why the excess wasn't cut off the tie). There was still more room for growth, but I just wanted to give an example of the space needed for cutting the ties off.

The poor victim of examples.

Thanks for the pics Anira.

I have a different tool. Do not remember the name of it, think it may just be a different style of wire cutter, kind of looks like one of the hoof trimming tools just much smaller. So they don't have to go between the leg and the band, but will still need slack to cut.

I know what tool you're talking about. They don't open very far, and I have large zip ties for a few adult large breed birds and that particular tool wouldn't work on those. Yes, you do still need slack with those so you don't pinch the leg. Harder to cut through the ties that way, too.

I am only using the small 4" ties right now. Already tested to see if I could cut them off. The tool works for me, and does open wide enough for the 4" ties. Have not tested it on the larger ties yet. Was considering getting the spiral bands for them when they are done growing.

Took us over an hour to cut off and re band the chicks. Had checked them Thurs evening, but some grew significantly between then and Fri evening. Fortunately with the tool we have allowed us to cut the the catch on the tie instead of the tie itself. Forgot to snap pics. Would not have been much use anyways, as we left some of the ties too big and they have been slipped off.

The original purpose of the bands was to try to track health of the individual chicks to help with breeding selection. I may try getting some of the spirals instead, if I want to keep tracking. Redoing zip ties every two weeks is more work than I thought it was going to be.

I just used little girl's hair ties, those colored elastic bands for pony tails. Lot of different colors, cheap, easy to put on, and to take them off just either slip them off like you would off a pony tail or pull on them till you have a gap and slip a manicure or other small scissors in there and snip. I also like that there is no rough end where you trim off the excess zip tie.

I haven't done this batch of chicks yet. After reading this I guess I should get down to the dollar store and get 'er done.

Back
Top Bottom