Would like opinions on this chick starter please. 16% vs 20% protein.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dapper, Apr 13, 2009.

1. dapper

dapper Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    My Co-Op has medicated chick starter and that is all they sell $11 and some change for a 50lb bag but it is only 16% protein.

My local TSC as unmedicated chick starter that sells for $13 and some change for a 50lb bag that is 20% protein.

I will be getting Black, Brown, Gold, and Red sex-link for layers and 6 cornish, 2 delaware males for meat.

I have never had chicks before so I thought I would start out with medicated feed, but I don't think I have seen a single post as to anyone using feed that is 16% protein. I haave also gone back and forth with the medicated feed.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Our TSC chick starter (Dumor) seems to be in too large of crumbles for some chicks. There tends to be a lot of waste with bantams and smaller standard breeds. We get the Southern States brand because it is a smaller crumble, smells "better", and is medicated.

3. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    You might want to check other local feed stores. Look in the yellow pages to find one. Since you have large size chickens the TSC would be OK. According to my information 17 percent is an avarge but 20% is the norm for chick starter. I would be more interested in the ingredients listed in what order but that is me as I am not a fan of corn as a main source of protein.

4. dapper

Sep 27, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    The only other feed store I have found so far sells Purina. The guy couldn't tell me how much protein although he thought it was 18% and could not tell me if it was medicated or not. I did not have my reading glasses with me so I could not read any of the ingredients. That 50lb bag was $17 and change. I am not 100% sure but I think that is a little much. Still looking for something else.

5. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

Quote:If the purina is medicated it will say it on the front of the bag. The protein in it is 18 percent. I'm not sure where you live, but it's only 12 dollars at the feed store we go to.
    I had tried a local feed that another feed store had nearby, but my chicks didn't like it for some reason. It was called Hamilton, and I guess it's from Hamilton Mi. That was 11 dollars and change for 50 lb bag.

6. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I use the dumor chick 20% mixed with the 24%. I have standard size and bantams all together and they are doing great!!!!!!!!!!

7. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    I use the Purina SunFresh Start and Grow, my 50 lb bag is about $11 - $15. Medicated and non-medicated feed bags look identical except for the ingredient label sewn on the end. The ingredient list is very small 3" X 5" and sometimes they are even missing or torn off. Purina start and Grow medicated feed has a PINK label and non-med has a WHITE or YELLOW label. It is only 18% crude protein, which I think is "okay". I wanted at least 20% protein and something organic, but the only local organic feed I could find in my area was $31 for a 50 lb bag.... too much for me. I chose the Purina because it uses no animal by-products and it is VERY available in my area. I knew that since several customers used it the feed would always be fairly fresh and not old or stale. Also, if your chicks have been immunized already they don't need medicated feed anyway.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  8. dapper

Sep 27, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    Chicks will not be vaccinated. I am still tossing around the idea of medicated or unmedicated feed. Maybe I will get a bag of 20% none medicated and mix it with the medicated and basically have 18% slightly medicated. I wish I could make my mind up. Basically the whole reason for getting chickens is to have my own eggs and knowing the way my chickens were treated and what went inside them. So I still don't know but I think I want more than just 16% protein from my feed.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

16% is inadequate protein for chicks. Starter can be from 18-21% or so; starter/grower combo is usually 18%.

10. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Chicks need a minimum of 18% protein, but medication is a great way to prevent nasty chick diseases. Buy the two and mix them. Problem solved. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by