1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Would like some help finding this upholstery fabric. Anyone?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Carolyn252, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Carolyn252

Carolyn252 Mother of Chickens

I've got six dining room chairs that need re-upholstering. I haven't been able to find a source for the same fabric that's on them now (except for an online company in China that will only sell a minimum of eighty yards of the stuff !!!!), so I thought I'd ask the huge byc community if any of you have ever seen either this same fabric or at least, a similar scenic pattern.

I sometimes describe it as a romantic Victorian scene, or as a French Victorian cameo scene or a Fragonard pattern fabric.

I've surfed the web and phoned a zillion fabric shops in NYC, Boston, Atlanta, etc., but no luck so far.

No single way to describe it actually, so here's a photo of one of my chairs, so you can see the fabric. I think French Victorian cameo is the most accurate description.

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    -Carolyn252

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Beautiful woodwork on those chairs! [​IMG]

3. Carolyn252

Quote:Thank you kindly.

I do love them.

-Carolyn252

4. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    Quote:Carolyn,
    we have a lot of fabric stores here...I can check.. BUT I want to ask a question.
    It seems as though there must be two different sizes of the image, as the scene on the cushion on the back of the chair is the same as the one on the seat.
    BUT it seems smaller. Is it?? Or just a trick of the lighting and angle of the picture.
    Also have you checked with an apholstering or restoration place?? they might be able to help you get the type and color you want.
    Just a thought.
    Carol

5. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Quote:Carolyn,
    we have a lot of fabric stores here...I can check.. BUT I want to ask a question.
    It seems as though there must be two different sizes of the image, as the scene on the cushion on the back of the chair is the same as the one on the seat.
    BUT it seems smaller. Is it?? Or just a trick of the lighting and angle of the picture.
    Also have you checked with an apholstering or restoration place?? they might be able to help you get the type and color you want.
    Just a thought.
    Carol

They have to be different. Look at the flowers on the bottom of each scene. They are different in each so not the same picture.

Have you looked anywhere in florida yet? My grandma is an ex seemstris so i will get ahold of her later and ask her.

6. Carolyn252

Yes; you're both correct. The seat bottom and the seat back are two different sizes.

Sooo frustrating.

But I'm determined to remain hopeful. There's just GOTTA be a similar fabric combo somewhere....

Thanks for your interest and any searching around that you can do.

-Carolyn252

7. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
  8. Carolyn252

Quote:Wow. What a delicious resource to explore for all kinds of things that will suit this old house and garden. Maybe, maybe, I'll find a source there for a stockade fence that will match the thirty feet that needs replacing. The fence is at least 50 years old. Each picket is a split cedar log, six feet tall and had a diameter before the split of at least 4 or 5 inches.

So, each picket is AT LEAST twice the width and depth of readily available stockade fence pickets today.

Modern stockade looks flimsy and ridiculous next to the sturdy old stuff.

Hardly rocket science to construct a stockade fence, but finding six foot tall cedar logs to split has been impossible thus far.

Thank you very much.
    -Carolyn252

9. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I don't know if you can find the fabric, but as an alternative you can contact the manufacturer and buy a replacement chair. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  10. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I'll look for you, Carolyn. There's a place right off the LIE in Plainview, don't remember the name... Also The Fabric end mill in ? Sayville. They are supposed to have alot of industrial/ home dec fabrics. Also a place in Commack, on 25.
    I am bad with names, but know exactly where they all are. Let me know if you tried them already, Roberta

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by