Would like some help on gender if possible :) Lots of photos!

MetalChicksRule

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Sunny Central Oregon :)
My 9 chicks are 5 weeks old and would like to know if any of these feathered sweeties are a roo.
I have 4 Rhode Island Reds-
Blondie
Blondie5wksRIR.jpg

Goldie
HPIM1573.jpg

Copperette
hu.gif
may change name, lol!
HPIM1569.jpg

and Dottie
HPIM1568.jpg

3 Black Australorps-
Empress
HPIM1587.jpg

Gizzie
HPIM1585.jpg

Misfit-tie
HPIM1576.jpg

and 2 blue-eyed Cochins? Are these the blue type?
Snowball
Snowball5wks.jpg

Snowflake
Snowflake5wks.jpg

I appreciate any and all help, thanks so much!! I really love my babies
big_smile.png

Here they are in their outside playpen
ya.gif

HPIM1620.jpg

Have a great day!!!!!
Robin

They are all looking like pullets so far, but you may want to wait another week or two. If you notice comb size changes are more red in one of them, then you may want to keep an eye on that one.

Well first ... I don't think those are Australorps. They shouldn't have white on them.

I'm certainly not an expert and the pictures are from kinda far away but right now (five weeks can be young to sex certain breeds) the RIRs look like pullets to me.

I know pretty much nothing of Cochins so I can't address them.

I'm guessing someone with far more experience will come along and give you better thoughts.

Quote:
I was told by our feed store friend that the 3 black chicks were Australorps. But he also told me the bottom 2 white ones were French Guineas....he was wrong on that. I am happy to have Cochins, they are darlings.
Thanks for the help and I will take updated photos next week or two for better details on their growth changes.
smile.png

Well Feed store people don't really "help" on breeds sometimes. I was told my Australorps were barred rocks when I bought them, I was suspicious with the white faces and didn't believe the feed store guy but bought them anyway because of the cute fluffy-ness! The friendly people here on BYC cleared that up real quick that they were not barred rocks.
wink.png
I love my Australorp! She is the top girl in my coop!

hugs.gif

Thanks for everyone's input!!!!
smile.png

I just love taking photos of these cuties and couldn't wait to share them with everyone!
wee.gif

We really spoil them with lots of love and attention. I will be super happy if they are all pullets, but will handle a roo if it comes to us having one.
What age do they roos crowing?
Thanks again!!
Robin
yippiechickie.gif

Well my leghorn started at 8 weeks, sounded like he was choking to death then a nice loud cock-a-doodle-doo! lol. Leghorns start early, I say with your breeds if you get a Roo, then maybe around 12 weeks or so...

Back
Top Bottom