Would like some help on quail

louisEF

Hatching
Jul 22, 2018
Hello decided that i would like to raise quail and i have looked into this and have seen that you ethier need a heated plate or a heat lamp but i would like to know if i can use any light (house light specifically) or does it have to be a heat lamp?
yours sincerely Me

Welcome to BYC!

To raise chicks of almost any breed, you'll need either a heat lamp or a heat pad. It's for the purpose of keeping the chicks at the temperature they need to be at. A regular house lamp really wouldn't work, except in the short term. If you got it close enough to the peeps for them to warm themselves, it would probably be a fire hazard.

Good luck.

Welcome to BYC!

To raise chicks of almost any breed, you'll need either a heat lamp or a heat pad. It's for the purpose of keeping the chicks at the temperature they need to be at. A regular house lamp really wouldn't work, except in the short term. If you got it close enough to the peeps for them to warm themselves, it would probably be a fire hazard.

Good luck.
Thank you i shall do my best to find a suitable head lamp and do you recomened any heat lamps/ heat pads

Thank you i shall do my best to find a suitable head lamp and do you recomened any heat lamps/ heat pads
Not really.

Most people who have tried both heat lamp and heat pad prefer the heat pad/Mama Heat Pad because it allows the chicks to have a normal day/night cycle and get a full night's sleep.

I prefer heat lamps because they're really versatile and cheap. It's said that a red light bulb is less harsh than a white one is, and will stress the chicks less. If you do go with this option, be sure to get a bulb that's specifically for a brooder. Someone on BYC lost half of her flock last year because she used a Teflon coated bulb, which emitted toxic fumes and killed her hens in the enclosed space.

I use the heating pad for my chickens but the quail couldn’t figure it out and even when I tucked them in at night I would find them out and cold in the am. I recommend a heat lamp for quail babies. Please make sure if you use one it is designed for poultry and does not have a Teflon coating as that can be toxic.

Not really.

Most people who have tried both heat lamp and heat pad prefer the heat pad/Mama Heat Pad because it allows the chicks to have a normal day/night cycle and get a full night's sleep.

I prefer heat lamps because they're really versatile and cheap. It's said that a red light bulb is less harsh than a white one is, and will stress the chicks less. If you do go with this option, be sure to get a bulb that's specifically for a brooder. Someone on BYC lost half of her flock last year because she used a Teflon coated bulb, which emitted toxic fumes and killed her hens in the enclosed space.
thank you

I use the heating pad for my chickens but the quail couldn’t figure it out and even when I tucked them in at night I would find them out and cold in the am. I recommend a heat lamp for quail babies. Please make sure if you use one it is designed for poultry and does not have a Teflon coating as that can be toxic.
ok i shall find a suitable heat lamp thank you

I’ve had very good success with using a white heat lamp during the day and tucking the chicks in under a “wool hen” for the night so they can get some sleep. It was literally just an old wool toque I put them in and folded the bottom a little so they wouldn’t accidentally fall out. Did that for the first week and then took it out completely since they were getting too big. Was about 77 F in the room.

When I got my chicks I used a heat lamp and then as I was going to bed it fell down and nearly set my house on fire. I would recommend not using a heat lamp, from experience, but others have had success with them. It’s up to you what you want to use

When I got my chicks I used a heat lamp and then as I was going to bed it fell down and nearly set my house on fire. I would recommend not using a heat lamp, from experience, but others have had success with them. It’s up to you what you want to use
Yeah--I mount mine using the grips, then tie it up so that it hangs by the handle if it falls. Better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom