Would like some help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gracie grace, Jan 27, 2014.

1. gracie grace

gracie grace New Egg

Jan 18, 2014
    NSW, Australia
    Hi I have an unwell Isa brown, she has been depressed for two weeks she's been wormed out and treated for external parasites And I have been giving her baytril invade of infection. She is still interested in food but is really thin and weak. Today when I was cleaning her pen I found this strange little egg looking ball .. I'm not sure what end it came from? It's so strange I was hoping someone may have an idea of what it could be??

2. gracie grace

gracie grace New Egg

Jan 18, 2014
    NSW, Australia
    [​IMG]
    This is the "egg" thing cut in half. It is about 5cm

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    This is just a guess, but it may be a product of internal laying.

4. gracie grace

gracie grace New Egg

Jan 18, 2014
    NSW, Australia
    Thanks for your reply @Eggcessive would you happen to know what I could do to help her?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If she hasn't laid internally you could try giving some calcium to see if she passes more of those. If she doesn't pass more, you could try to do a cloacal exam and manually remove them. FYI, Baytril and calcium should be given several hours apart.

How much Baytril are you giving her?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

7. gracie grace

gracie grace New Egg

Jan 18, 2014
    NSW, Australia
    Thank you !! I was advised to give her the same dose as per dog or cat ie 5mg/kg .. And she is only 1kg so 5mg. Does this sound right?

8. gracie grace

gracie grace New Egg

Jan 18, 2014
    NSW, Australia
    She has been on this dose once a day for 3 days

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    My bigger birds get one or two 500mg tablets orally, banties 1/2 to 1 tablet. The calcium gluconate is liquid and I give about 200-300 mg per 2.2 pounds orally. I don't usually have to do it more than once. All birds that I have treated like this are still alive and well. 5mg/kg is not enough and unlikely to help at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by