1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Would like to add various breeds to our flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by redheadhen, Nov 7, 2014.

1. redheadhen

redheadhen New Egg

Nov 7, 2014
    We would like to possibly add a turkey and a few bantams to our flock of 5 laying hens. Our current breeds are 2 Ameracaunas and 3 EE. They are all between 32-36wks old. We are have had our hens since they were 8wks old so we are newbies. The turkey would be raised for Thanksgiving next year and the educational experience. We would like to purchase the Bantams as gifts for our children. Twin girls 10, a son 9, and finally our 18m old daughter. I have looked at Silkies and the Fizzle Cochin. What would recommendations for breeds and integration be? We have an EXTREMLY basic coop. Chicken wire 360dg around a 1x2 frame. Our nesting boxes are 5 gallon buckets. Our lady birds love them. They free range during the day and I have trained them to come when I call (I reinforce with treats :) ).

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You might do some chatting in your state thread. Maybe someone nearby can help you out with these breeds. Scroll through this link to find your state thread...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Stop by our Buy Sell and Trade section as well. There could be someone nearby you here too...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/67/buy-sell-trade

Good luck! Just remember, when adding new birds to an existing flock, do it slowly from behind a cage or fenced off area. This separation allows for some disease quarantine and lets everybody get to know each other. If you throw new birds into a flock there will be chaos, blood and possible deaths. So, everybody sees, nobody touches. After 3 or 4 weeks when you don't see any health issues and everybody has introduced themselves, you can mix the new birds in. Always watch them closely that first week and intervene if it turns bloody. Sometimes someone may need to "go to jail" for a day or so if they don't want to play nice. And put out a few extra feed and water stations. Sometimes the older flock will guard these areas and starve out the new birds.

Good luck and we do welcome you to our flock!

3. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh, and I would stick to some similar breeds to what you have now. Silkies don't mix in with larger breeds very well and should be kept by themselves. I would maybe go with some Black Australorps, Buff Orpingtons, Wyandottes or Plymouth Barred Rocks. All of these are very docile, gentle birds. Great on the laying and are very hardy over all. My Orps are HUGE on lap sitting and I can't sit anywhere without a bird on my lap! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh and one more thing. LOL Keep in mind the 4 to 5 square foot per bird rule in the coop, 10 square feet per bird in the run. If you cram birds in, they are going to go off on each other and you will have lots of aggression. Give them as much space as you can afford. :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by