Would like to hear if anyone dispatches their meat birds, particularily large ducks or geese by 'hea

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mominoz, Mar 7, 2014.

1. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Just wondering, as a less hands on, one person method? I already know why, those who say not too, for chickens, checked posts first; but wonder if anyone uses this method for larger birds. (p.s. shooting in our area is a daily occurence). Then bleeding out.

2. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    We did this with one turkey, it was not effective imo. Far nastier a death than a throat cutting I think.

3. pipemum

pipemum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    I use a killing cone and long handled lopers to chop the head off. It's one person, super fast, super effective, and not very hand-ons.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I dispatched a meat bird with a high powered pellet gun and it was perfect. Minimal bleeding.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Why would folks say not to do it for chickens [​IMG]

My honey's used a pellet gun for roosters. One head shot and they're down, there's even minimal flopping---much less than with throat slitting or decapitation ime. Then hang it and bleed it, butcher as normal. You have to be a pretty good shot and/or be able to get nice and close--even with a goose that head's still a pretty small target.

1 person likes this.
  6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

x2

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup

7. StruckBy

StruckBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Marcola, OR
    We used an air gun pumped to the max on some free range roosters that I swear were psychic about knowing when we were going for them. Worked just fine. Meat was no different & if anything I think there was less flapping. Will probably go that route again because I prefer instant brain destruction so there's absolutely no chance of it still being able to feel.

8. Tumbleweed Farm

Tumbleweed Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Benton City, WA
    My husband has knocked em dead instantly with one shot to the head with his BB gun--it's over immediately.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by