would like to incubate eggs...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by apdan, May 15, 2010.

1. apdan

apdan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Michigan
    So.. I am new to this and you all have me very excited and I would like to try my hand at incubating eggs... but have nothing! So I was wondering where and what the best incubator would be to get? Any advice?? I don't want to do a TON of eggs maybe start out with a dozen or less..... I have my own fertile eggs to get from the chickens I have now so all I need is the incubating stuff! [​IMG]

2. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    I think it all depends how much money you want to spend in the beginning .

I am NO expert but when I was looking I looked for used ones that had automatic turners and a fan - I think most will say get at least the fan .

I also decided I wanted one that I could sanitize in the dishwasher so I got the Brower Top Hatch which is a resin of some sort - can't tell you it's the best cause I'm only on my 2nd hatch and they are due today and I see 2 pips 1st hatch did not do so well [​IMG]

I can tell you broody's for incubating are the BEST !!!!! I have hatch 2 times under a broody and had hatch rates of 100%

My Angel is sitting in the same eggs in my bator she started with 4 one was no good and this morning 3 babies [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

She is the best. I would like the bator to do well cause it is neat to see them hatch . You can do a search on incubators on here they have been discussed before .

Have fun and know this IT'S ADDICTING [​IMG]

3. Ceilismom

Ceilismom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    NW South Dakota
    Having never yet owned a chicken, or hatched an egg, I can only offer one bit of advice: Before purchasing an incubator online, check your local feed store. If/when I buy an incubator, I plan to purchase a Brower Top Hatch. The cheapest I could find one online was $170 plus shipping. I was checking out chicken supplies at a local ranch supply store, and they carry the same incubator for $150, off the shelf. Similar price difference when looking at one of the styrofoam incubators.

4. apdan

apdan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Thanks!! Oh my goodness it is very addicting! [​IMG] It's horrible! [​IMG]
    I have one broody hen who just hatched out two little chicks.... that was so much fun! she started out with just one and I didn't know if she was going to do anymore and the next morning she was out with another little one running around! So after having her hatch them out and reading all the stories and comments on here.... I am thinking of trying it myself !

5. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    best ever
    king suro 20 eco

6. quail kid1

quail kid1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    An incubator for a reasonable price, and you only want to incubate around 6-8 eggs then I would recommend the mini eco incubator or the mini advance incubator ( both are brinsea models ) They hold the temp and humidity great, very easy to use, Both are with fans, the advance one has automatic turner, but I have the mini eco because I like to hand turn the eggs myself lol.

quail kid1

7. gabbyscritters

gabbyscritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    fredonia, wi
    If you are not sure about how much hatching you want to do you can't go wrong with a little giant. They are cheap (compared to other incubators) and they work.! My 9 year old has had great luck the past 4 years with one. We have the basic model, no turner or fan but we are going to try and install a fan. I would like to get her a better incubator but they cost a lot more money. She has great hatch rates, she just hatched out 10 or 14 shipped pyncheon eggs. With her home eggs she gets close to 100% hatch rate.
    Hatching eggs is a blast and there is great advice on the forum. It took us a while to get the humidity up high enough. Have fun

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by