would like to make an a-frame wood'n'plastic greenhouse

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jmc, Jun 24, 2011.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    why? as a seasonal place for chooks.

wood frame covered with some type of wire, then greenhouse plastic.

anyone done something like this?

2. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Well, it wouldn't be predator-proof, would it? If you mean the thin plastic sheeting, any predator would walk right through that.

3. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Quote:yes, i know, and i do appreciate your taking the time to reply.

but i am wondering if any board users have ever made their own little greenhouse thingy.

an acquaintance made hoop greenhouse which he used successfully for chooks year round; i'd like to do something in the a-frame vein, with simple wood...............

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:yes, i know, and i do appreciate your taking the time to reply.

but i am wondering if any board users have ever made their own little greenhouse thingy.

an acquaintance made hoop greenhouse which he used successfully for chooks year round; i'd like to do something in the a-frame vein, with simple wood...............

I cobbled this together last year. The concept was to use ONLY recycled or free materials - made from pallets, landscape cloth, fencing, pvc, greenhouse poly, etc. It got me through a year. I'm going to tear it down and put up something that is a little less, shall we say, shabby. But, it was a fun little project, and it is amazing what people throw away!

The sidewalls are pallets with landscape cloth and fencing. The top was flexible pvc hoops, wire/fencing, and greenhouse poly.

Just remember, it get REALLY hot in a greenhouse without proper ventilation. I had this pretty well "winterized" then almost killed one of the toms in April when it suddenly went from the 40s to the mid 80s in a few hours -- he almost died of heat stroke, I saved him by hosing him down for about 5 minutes with cold water.

[​IMG]

5. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    cute job, den.!

this is not to be as a 'coop', but more of a sort of winter play pen within our main coop and run area..............

thanks for the nice pic!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by