Would love some advice on a silkie coop.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jferlisi, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Hi everyone, i just got two silkies. They are 4 months old and im not sure if i should put them in with the other chickens tomorrow or make them there own coop. There are 9 in the big coop which is like a 8 x 4 x 8, soon to be 17 in there. What do you all think? Also nesting boxes and roosts? If i make a new coop should i put a roosting pole in it and a nesting box or will they not use the pole and only the boxes? Never had a small breed chicken so i dont know what there coop should look like, They are right now in a makeshift coop. Thanks for all the help. Pictures of your coops would be very helpful too. [​IMG]

2. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    8x4 is only 32 square feet 4 square feet per birdyou already have that coop maxed out build another coop. silkies dont fly so if you are gonna put in a roost make it low mine sleep on the floor in the shavings. make large nesting boxes as they go broody often and will hatch eggs for you if you let them. I have a small 4.5x6 coop for my silkies with a 12x14 run covered to protect them from preds all the fluff on their heads they dont see well and are at a disadvantage with predators.

3. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Thanks. Ya right now the big girls are out in the run and the silkies are in my 2.5 x almost 4 with a 12x6 run. So i think i need to add another box in that coop.
    [​IMG]
    Thats the coop they are in now.

4. cfdf

cfdf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Yeppers! My vote is to add another coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by