Would love to see Pics of adult Phoenix cross Roos

Depends what you cross them with. My favorite cross was a Sumatra hen with a Golden Phoenix roo. Sumatra roos get the long tails like phoenixes, so he had a gorgeous long tail. He was the shiny black, with a little streak of gold in his tail. I can try to find a pic of him........

I have also had my Phoenix roo crossed with a Silver Spangled Hamburg. The roo that came from that has a tail more like a Hamburg, but it stands up more. His body almost has the "U" shape of Langshans, if that makes any sense.....I can get some pictures of him later today. I have had two roos like that, but the older one was a little more "buff", with a wider breast, other than that they basically looked the same.

My Barred Rock/Phoenix does not have a long tail either, it is more like a Barred Rock.

If you cross them with something that also has a long tail (Sumatra, Yokohama, etc.) you could get a long tail.....Another thing to consider is I never used a Phoenix hen, which might make a difference because don't the mamas pass traits to their sons, and roos pass down traits to their daughters? I have basically 0 knowledge of chicken genetics, so please do tell me if I'm wrong.

Is the long tailed trait recessive?

Depends what you cross them with. My favorite cross was a Sumatra hen with a Golden Phoenix roo. Sumatra roos get the long tails like phoenixes, so he had a gorgeous long tail. He was the shiny black, with a little streak of gold in his tail. I can try to find a pic of him........

I have also had my Phoenix roo crossed with a Silver Spangled Hamburg. The roo that came from that has a tail more like a Hamburg, but it stands up more. His body almost has the "U" shape of Langshans, if that makes any sense.....I can get some pictures of him later today. I have had two roos like that, but the older one was a little more "buff", with a wider breast, other than that they basically looked the same.

My Barred Rock/Phoenix does not have a long tail either, it is more like a Barred Rock.

If you cross them with something that also has a long tail (Sumatra, Yokohama, etc.) you could get a long tail.....Another thing to consider is I never used a Phoenix hen, which might make a difference because don't the mamas pass traits to their sons, and roos pass down traits to their daughters? I have basically 0 knowledge of chicken genetics, so please do tell me if I'm wrong.

Is the long tailed trait recessive?
The trait is dominant in the 2nd generation, meaning if you cross the Phoenix with a non-long tail, 90% of the babies from that cross will have short tails. The babies from those babies will have long tails in the males and some in the females.

The best cross i ever had was with a Brown leghorn hen and a Blue Phoenix roo. Only one baby from that batch had a long tail.

Last edited:
I have some Silver Duckwing Phoenix x blue Ameraucana cross males. They are kinda cute.

LL

LL

This little guy ended up with a really long tail (he was young in the pic and hadn't really grown his tail yet)...longer than my silver phoenix's ever was lol
LL

Back
Top Bottom