1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Would Orpingtons and Marans make good meat birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by dandydoodle, Nov 8, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Trying to decide what birds to raise for meat birds. How would LF Orpingtons and Marans be? If I used these breeds at what age could they be processed?

Thanks

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I have some blue/splash Marans and some Marans White Rock Mixes. The Marans are very good.
    Here is a Marans rooster at around 20 weeks. The Marans White Rock Mixes are bigger.

[​IMG]

I also have 3 Orpingtons to do this week. They are big guys, but it will be my first time with them.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If the Marans are French varieties like Black Copper or Wheaten, yes! [​IMG]

Here's a couple examples of what my boys bring in at 7-9 months -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for Orpingtons, no personal experience but if they're English line imported stock I'm sure they will! [​IMG] If they're hatchery based Buffs, doubt it. All chickens are edible and tasty, but some just aren't worth breeding as meat birds.

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I have processed hatchery Orpingtons and the carcass looked nothing like Ilia's picture above of the Marans. The breast was much smaller though the the thighs and legs were really meaty. Also, loads of fat. I haven't done any breeder quality ones yet though. The breeder ones are much heavier and meatier looking and should be nicer. I have heard that Orps in general do lay on more fat than most other breeds.

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I have done both Orps and Marans and found that they have a different distribution of fleshiness, with the Marans being heavier at the 17 week processing time. It was premature, but I wasn't intending to have them as meaties, just hatched a billion boys. My goal was to stop feeding so many birds!

I think I'd go with a hybrid of the two if it was intentionally for meat, because that would be a more economical venture for a faster growth. If you are wanting to go dual purpose and use excess roos, I'd go with Orps, as their overall feed conversion for eggs is better and they lay better. Marans LOVE to eat!

6. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by