1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Would people that have Marans and Wellsummers from hatcheries post egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rebecca10782, Nov 30, 2008.

1. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    pictures so I can see how much lighter they are than private breeders? Thanks [​IMG]

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I don't quite understand the question. Do you want pictures of marans and wellsummer eggs ? from private breeders? or hatcheries? I will do my best here we are

My cuckoo marans hens are from meyer hatchery and they are the darker eggs in the picture I have some young breeder blue and black copper marans and I will post pictures when they lay.

[​IMG]

Henry

3. rebecca10782

Apr 24, 2008
    Sorry, I meant to say that I would like to see pictures of hatchery Maran eggs and hatchery Wellsummer eggs. I would like to see the difference in shades versus private breeders that breed for egg color.

Wow, those are dark. That's great, buy the way some people describe hatchery Maran eggs, I thought that they would be very very light.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  4. GaDawg

GaDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    I was curious about this also, good thread.

hcammack, pretty eggs, did the blue ones come from hatchery chickens also?

5. rebecca10782

Apr 24, 2008
    Quote:I have seen this picture before, but I didn't know that you got your birds from a hatchery. I love that picture, I hope I have an egg basket as colorful as that [​IMG]

6. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    I have wondered the same thing. People make it sound like the hatchery Marans don't lay eggs that are very dark.

7. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Thanks mine do get allot lighter towards the end of the laying cycle their is allot of variance in the egg color. I was very happy with the egg color from hatchery birds. I can't wait till my Wade Jeane pullets are laying to and I can add their eggs in ! the smaller blue eggs are from breeder cull blue wheaten and wheaten ameraucana hens. The larger blue egg is from my one EE hen she does not have a beared and is from Meyer hatchery. I really am very happy with my meyer hatchery birds they are great quality although not show quality. My cuckoo marans have not been laying allot but they do lay darker then I though I may just have been very lucky though.

Thanks for the compliments on the picture I hope I can even more different shades to my egg basket.

Henry

8. GaDawg

GaDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    thanks for the info...[​IMG]

9. Buckhunter

Buckhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    [​IMG]

The speckled egg is a welsummer and the dark colored eggs are cuckoo maran . Both from Welp Hatchery

10. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    those are interesting buckman defently more like what I expected from my birds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by