Would SIZE indicate male vs female in Guineas??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MTtroutwithwings, Jul 18, 2008.

1. MTtroutwithwings

MTtroutwithwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    My guinea keets are at just over 5 weeks of age and there is an obvious size difference between some of them. There is only 1 pearl in the mix and it's smaller so I know were not looking at any jumbos. Would larger size indicate a male over a female or vice versa? [​IMG]

2. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    Not in my experience. Basically the males will have larger cupped-forward wattles and larger helmets. And only the females make the buckwheat call. Might take a while longer before you can really tell by that though.

3. MTtroutwithwings

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    Darn! I'm only going to keep a pair of them and the others are being sold, I'd really like to have one of each. I won't be able to keep them long enough to determine that by the call. It's was a long shot, thanks for your input!

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I just wanted to agree. I have my first Guineas this year and they are now 12 weeks old. I have five and know for sure three of them are females (gotta love that buck-wheat call). One of them is bigger than the others and one is smaller and one is pretty much the same size as the other two (who I'm pretty sure are boys).

Edited because I have two four years olds who are distracting me!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  5. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I have one large one, but it is a French, so that is normal I suppose [​IMG]

6. MTtroutwithwings

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    Well 5 of them were suppose to go to they're new home last week (we agreed @ 4 weeks) but the gal hasn't contacted me and I haven't made an effort to call her either (buying time [​IMG] ) but DH is ragging on me to move them (he's afraid I'll get too attached to them... too late! [​IMG] ) I'm hoping I can figure out which is which before then. Thanks all for your input!

P.S. DH keeps forgetting what's in the bator! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by