1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Would someone please forward the memo to my girls

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FrontPorchIndiana, Dec 5, 2008.

1. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Because they didn't get it. They don't understand that cold + dark equals less eggs. Nope, it's December, seven degrees outside and they're laying like gangbusters. I've got eggs out the wazoo. I'm thinking the passive solar windows on the south end of the coop may need blackout drapes. [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I sent my girls the same memo the other day. They ignored it. Other than my two free-loaders, all are laying and six have only started laying since the weather turned colder.

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i keep sending the memo over via their fax and it comes back...NO WAY...WE LIKE TO MESS WITH HER HEAD.....

what does that mean?

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

ETA: Mine are still having fun driving me crazy with the "make the golf ball disappear/re-appear" trick, so they haven't resorted to more sinister tactics yet.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Quote:LUCKY> Out of 6 perfectly fine girls (the seventh molting) we gt 0 eggs yesterday and just 1 today! :mad:

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Well the first few posters [​IMG]

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    oh, just so Deb can see....we get 3-5 a day from our 5 girls...hee hee....now, what's up with this stupid fax machine...i am getting a new message...

TELL MOM WE WILL CONTINUE TO LAY UNTIL WE GET THE MONEY AND THE TICKETS TO THE BAHAMAS.

8. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    [​IMG]

Sorry to those who aren't laying, but how on earth can I possibly ever justify more chickens if I have all these eggs everywhere? See my dilemma?

9. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    I picked up 5 eggs yesterday but this afternoon none, but when i went to locked up my ladies a few minutes ago
    I thought i heard a peeping could that be wishfull thinking?
    but one of the ladies was sitting in the nest while all the others were roosting.. I wonder what tomorrow will bring.

10. setter4

setter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
    I got 9 eggs from 10 girls today and 10 yesterday! DO NOT send the memo to my girls! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by