Would someone take a shot at what this chick description might represent! Pictures Now

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CatDaddyAlbert, Mar 31, 2012.

1. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    Hi All.

I left my camera at my office so at the moment I do not have a picture but wondered if someone would take a shot a telling me what these little guys might be by the description, some aspects which appear to be unique.

First, at a farm auction I bought, from a elderly lady, two dozen dark, almost reddish eggs. One did not hatch so later when I recover the camera from the office I can take a picture and post it as well. What the lady had marked on the two cartons was Welsumer/Fertile. I thought it might be fun to hatch something different so into the bator they went.

Two days ago they came out and they sure don't look like Welsumers to me.

This is what they look like:
    They are all black (very deep black) feathered on the tops of the bodies
    They have white bellies and the white runs up the rump.
    The tops of their feet are black and the black runs up the fronts of the legs to the feather line
    The back of the legs are not black

Anyone care to venture a guess now that I have pictures?

Thanks

Albert

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The reddish eggs sounds like Wellies, but the chicks sure don't. Australorp comes to mind. You could check out some hatchery sites like McMurray, lots of them have videos of day old chicks and you might be able to match some up. Course, they could be a mix, and you'll never know.

3. MrsStephan

MrsStephan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    Cuckoo marans? Any barring or white showing up on the wing feathers?

4. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I would assume the moms are Welsummers, but her rooster was something black. :)

5. CatDaddyAlbert

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    Thanks DonRae. I put up a couple of pictures. Any more guesses would be appreciated.

Albert

6. CatDaddyAlbert

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    Thanks MrsStephan. I put up a couple of pictures. Any more guesses would be appreciated.

Albert

7. CatDaddyAlbert

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    Thanks Momma24. I put up a couple of pictures. Any more guesses would be appreciated.

Albert

8. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    The eggs look like Welsummer eggs. Maybe they are Marans or mixed parentage with Welsummer hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by