Would spreading straw under their Coop be a bad Idea?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by navychick, Sep 15, 2011.

1. navychick

navychick Songster

May 17, 2011
    Our coop is 2' off the ground and our girls love to rest under it. Now that it is getting cooler here in Michigan I was thinking of putting a little straw under it to make it more comfortable. Would this be a bad idea? They are only 2 1/2 months old and haven't started laying eggs yet but I definitely don't want to confuse them. I have their nesting boxes blocked off inside as I didn't want them sleeping in them, thankfully they all sleep up on the roosts. Any Advice? Also, do people put a little straw down on top of snow? Thanks.'

2. uchytil

uchytil Songster

Apr 28, 2011
    I put straw in my coops even though they roost up on 2x4's. If your birds continue to go outside (like mine) I'm sure they are fine on dirt, and then snow. You can cover the run a bit to keep the snow out if you like. You should check out the Michigan Thread in "Where are you, where am I" section in BYC forums. I think that's what it's called. Anyway, there's a bunch of Michiganders that will love to tell you what they think, lol!

3. navychick

navychick Songster

May 17, 2011
    I had never heard of that thread, thanks for the tip.

4. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Songster

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. Does the ground stay dry under your coop because straw is a mulch and will hold moisture and the chickens will poop on it . On dirt the poop mixes in as fertilizer. Just a thought. [​IMG]

5. True Grit

True Grit Songster

My coop is a couple of feet up and the run is covered and is sand. I recommend straw on the run in the winter as it is way warmer than sand. I rake it out every so often and replace it with fresh. It's wheat straw and pecking at it gives them something to do as well. I have pine shavings in the coop itself.

6. navychick

navychick Songster

May 17, 2011
    Thanks for the ideas. I don't want them to get confused once they start laying and not use their nesting boxes in the coop.

7. arcatamarcia

arcatamarcia Songster

Sep 24, 2009
    If the ground under the coop is dirt, and stays dry, they might appreciate a place to dust bathe in the winter.

8. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Songster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I think straw under the coop is an awful idea if you plan on cleaning it at all. My girls poop on what pine straw falls in the run and it is nigh unto impossible to clean. I started with sand under the coop and will stick with. It just works so well. Cleans easy and no odors at all and they love it.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  9. navychick

navychick Songster

May 17, 2011
    Thanks everyone for your advice. Its just that it seems that it would offer a little comfort when its cold or snowy.

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I think it depends on whether it stays pretty dry under there or not. Before my run was roofed, I'd shovel snow and then toss down straw to lure them outside. I HATED how wet and clogged down the straw would get. And then it would get all mildewy if I let it sit for very long.
    So if it's in an area where it would stay dry, then I think it's a good idea. But not in a damp/wet area...
    You might consider tarping, or using some of that clear vinyl (sold in fabric stores) around the sides of that area to help keep snow/ice out to keep things dry under there...Or screwing on pieces of clear corrugated roofing material...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by