Would the egg color change, egg to egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kara_leigh, Oct 12, 2011.

1. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    I thought only one of my 6 pullets was laying, but maybe not. I was looking at the eggs in the fridge, and I have about 4 or 5 different patters/colors of eggs. I have ones that are a solid creamy light brown, ones that are similar color but have a consistent dense but tiny white speckle all over them, ones that are a medium-light brown but have a light brown speckles pretty much all over, and ones that are light brown with a few dark speckles here and there.

Could they all be from the same chicken and her eggs look different, day to day? Or maybe more than one are laying and just lay so spread out and have been oddly lucky never to lay on the same day? What do you think?

2. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I think you have more than 1 laying. My BSL's eggs vary from day to day but not that much.

3. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I only have three chooks, all the same breed, and their eggs change a fair bit depending on what they've been eating and how long they get to range.

When they get to range for most of the day the eggs can be all different shades from from day to day, some days they're all pale and uniformly tinted, other days I get more of an assortment. The only constant seems to be that one of my girls lays pointier eggs than the others, one lays smaller eggs, and one lays much bigger ones.

The only time it's been predictable is the past week and a half because mine haven't been ranging much while I do some landscaping. During that time I've been getting the same three eggs every day: 1 pale egg, 1 medium-tinted pointy egg with pale specks on it, and one smaller egg with dark brown speckles on it.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  4. kara_leigh

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Mine do free range every day, sun up to sun down. We have only ever caught one of them in the nest, but multiple times. Maybe it is the same bird. Hmmm....

5. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    I agree with Nonny. It can vary quite a bit depending on what they are eating and many other conditions. It is likely, though, that you have more than one laying now.

6. kara_leigh

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Well, we had two lay in one day for the first time today! [​IMG] The second egg was completely different than the others, a brown egg almost completely covered in white paint. lol I think she has an identity crisis, can't decide if she wants to lay brown or white eggs. haha!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by