Would the following food work for quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Joshaeus, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Joshaeus

Joshaeus Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2014
    'ello all! I just wanted to know if the following food would work for quail. I am leaving it anonymous for now, but here are the specs: Protein (min.) 20.0%, Lysine (min.) 0.95%, Methionine (min.) 0.35%, Fat (min.) 3.5%, Fiber (max.) 5.0%, Calcium (min.) 0.8%, Calcium (max.) 1.3%, Phosphorus (min.) 0.7%, Salt (min.) 0.35%, Salt (max.) 0.85%, Vitamin A 7,000 IU/lb, Vitamin E 14 IU/lb

2. Chicken-Farmer

Chicken-Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Your protein should be higher in at least the 24% percent range. Gamebirds require feed with higher protein.

Chicken-Farmer

3. Joshaeus

Joshaeus Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2014
    Is it possible to mix and match various foods to get the desired percentage? And out of curiosity, but what should the fat, fiber, and calcium levels be on a gamebird food?

4. Chicken-Farmer

Chicken-Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Metzer Farms has a really neat calculator that will allow you to find the mix ratio of feeds to get a desired protein level.
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/FeedConversion.cfm?CustID=2302819

As far as finding the right fat and other levels I would base those off of a known gamebird feed like Purina Gamebird Chow which is 30% protein.

Chicken-Farmer

1 person likes this.
  5. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Try to avoid feeding calcium infused food to quail roosters. They don't require it and it can damage their organs. If you look at a bag of gamebird food there will be little or no infused calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by