1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Would these breeds fit in my plan?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ninny, Jan 19, 2010.

1. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    I'm rewording this so it makes more sense. I would like to get back into showing and breeding chickens in the next few years. My breeders would be in pens and chicken tractors. The roosters that do not make the cut would go in the freezer. The hens would go into my mixed breed laying flock i already have. I'm in the research part of getting my poultry farm off the ground. Im looking into these breeds to see if they would work in this situation. I would be starting with one breed and then adding more as time goes. Im not looking into getting tons of birds at once. These chickens would have to earn their keep. My layers pay for their feed and then some so i expect all my birds too.

The breeds im looking in to at the moment are as follows:

Wyandottee
    Americana ( not EEs)
    rose comb rhode island red and white
    buckeyes
    delawares
    javas
    chantecler
    holland
    cubalaya

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I can only speak for the Delawares - the breed needs more people to promote it and they are a good dual purpose bird, so your culls could be layers or Sunday dinner -

3. ninny

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    Thanks!

4. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    I would seriously consider how much room your going to need and if you want to have seperate breeding pens? If your raising high quality birds then my guess would be that you would want to keep the breeds seperated and that means that free ranging them is going to need to happen on seperate days unless you want mixed babies? I would pick a couple breeds to start with(or just one) and see how it goes...get your feet wet first. Then maybe add a breed or two every season. You also have to deal with the issue of colors within the breed, that may also require seperate breeding pens. Trust me...I'm still learning(as we all are) but my girlfriend who has been raising chickens for many years now says that she tries one or two breeds and then as they die off or stop laying she will replace them with a new breed that she wants to try out. I guess it all depends on the time you want to invest in chickie chores too. I have four little ones at home(11yrs, 4yrs,2yrs,and 1 yr)...so YES...WE HAVE BEEN BLESSED! But I don't really want to tend to four seperate chicken pens(4 seperate waterbuckets,feed, poo cleaning, bedding, free range time,etc) I just don't have that much time to dedicate to chickens at this point in my life. I do enjoy my free range flock of buff orpingtons(GREAT GREAT GREAT with little kids!) and giant cochins. And I have some frizzles & silkies just for fun! Not trying to discourage you just trying to pass on a little personal experience! Blessings,Keri

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I have a question for you.
    Why so many breeds? Why not concentrate on 1 or 2 breeds? How much land do you have to dedicate to these breeds?
    For 8 breeds you will need 8 breeding pens. The 8 breeding pens w/ runs are going to take up a area around 50' x 25' at minimum, then you have to figure the growing pens the you will need.

Chris

6. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    I'm not sure there is a standard for Ameracaina (EEs) so I don't think those could be shown.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Ameraucanas are in the standard. It is the EE's that hatcheries sell that aren't a recognized breed..

Chris

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Are you planning on starting this venture this year? I know you're expecting your first baby. You might want to wait to start this until after you've become used to being a mom first. Or instead of jumping into breeding birds right now, just get a few chicks and raise them for a layer flock. I had chickens throughout being pregnant and raising my kids, but for the most part I just had a mixed layer flock. I have purebred breeding groups now and that is a lot more work. I couldn't have done what I do now for the most part with a newborn baby.

ETA: I did do lots of things ouside when my kids were new babies, but it was all stuff I was used to doing before I had them...whether it was cattle or chicken chores. I don't think I would have taken on a new venture while they were newborns.

9. ninny

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    I reworded my first post so it makes more sense.

10. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    OOOH! I see! That's much clearer now![​IMG] In that case...I say who knows?!?!?! It seems like there are alot of trends and more popular breeds each year! Too many chickens too little time![​IMG] I guess it would depend on what most people in your area prefer but I guess if you're showing you would have a larger circle of people even from farther away? I DUNNO!![​IMG] Congrats on your new baby girl(on the way) though:thumbsup! Blessings,Keri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by