Would they be ok?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Jay262, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Im considering buying some japanese quail. Im wondering if they would be ok to house with my black silkie chickens or would i need to build a new coop to occupy them?

2. bantamboy93

bantamboy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    I'm not an expert, but from what i've seen on the site, there are lots of dangerous diseases that can be passed between quail and chickens. It's best that you have a different coop for them.

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    You would want to have them in a separate enclosure. Japanese QUail/coturnix can catch diseases from chicken even if the chicken do not present them.

4. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    i am prob gonna rule them out for me for this year then thx for the replies.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  5. animal8

animal8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    Just a question that's not quite related to this thread. Can you house Coturnix and Bobwhite quail together? It would be in a large outdoor enclosure and there would only be a few of each species. I don't know if this would work, but I thought it would be worth asking.

6. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:No you cannot the bobs have trouble living with their own species let alone coturnix.

7. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2

8. animal8

animal8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    Quote:No you cannot the bobs have trouble living with their own species let alone coturnix.

Okay, thanks. I did think that would be the case, but I wanted to make sure [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by