would they do good together?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Momlife+chicks, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Momlife+chicks

Momlife+chicks Chirping

Mar 20, 2018
    Virginia
    I have 3 isa brown pullets (they are 4 weeks old) I was thinking of getting 4 white leghorns today. Do you think they would do well together and can I put them in the same brooder and coop?

2. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Crowing

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    I wouldn't put chicks that are 4 weeks younger (newborns) together with the others. But if you get chicks that are closer to the same age they will do fine together. ;)

3. Momlife+chicks

Momlife+chicks Chirping

Mar 20, 2018
    Virginia
    Could I take the ones that are 4 weeks off the heat lamp? And once the white leghorns are bigger can they be put in the same coop as the isa Browns?

4. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Crowing

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    Taking 4 week old chicks away from heat depends on the temperature. 4 week old chicks aren't completely feathered even tho they may look it. They still need 75 degrees.
    Once the Leghorns are at least 6 weeks old they can be put with the ISA browns but you will need to monitor them to make sure the Leghorns aren't being picked on.

5. Momlife+chicks

Momlife+chicks Chirping

Mar 20, 2018
    Virginia
    Okay, thank you! Are isa Browns and leghorns both nice chickens or are they an aggressive breed? I’m new to chickens so just trying to figure everything out.

6. I have 2 Isa Browns and they are the sweetest chickens I've ever owned, they love to be held and petted. I've even taken them in car rides for fun. Never had a leghorn. :)

7. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Crowing

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    Leghorns are excellent layers of large to XL eggs. I've had a few that were friendly but most of them are rather independent. :smack

8. Momlife+chicks

Momlife+chicks Chirping

Mar 20, 2018
    Virginia
    I got 3 of the leghorns today. Usually here you have to get a minimum of 4, but they only had 3 left. They said they are a week old.

Attached Files:

9. Momlife+chicks

Momlife+chicks Chirping

Mar 20, 2018
    Virginia
    They are eating and drinking and seem to be happy.

Attached Files:

10. Momlife+chicks

Momlife+chicks Chirping

Mar 20, 2018
    Virginia
    Here are my isa Browns. I moved them to a bigger brooder and have the leghorns in the smaller one for right now.

Attached Files:

red horse ranch likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: