Would this be a fine duckhouse for two muscovies ??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Blob Chicken, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Blob Chicken

Blob Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    Its an insulated wood doghouse.

26" H x 26" W x 24" D

Could a male female pair of muscoies fit in there ?? Also with a little mallard squeezed in ,perhaps ?? Or would I have to go with the larger sized 34" H x 35" W x 28" ?? Or bigger still ??

This will only be for them to sleep in at night/hide in during storms/heavy snow/the lovely Canadian -40 celcius cold spurts.

2. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    For two large ducks and a small mallard you'd need 3 feet x 3 feet for a night house as a bare minimum. I am not sure how many inches are in a foot (we do metres and centimetres here) but both those doghouses sound too small to me. An insulated doghouse would be great in principle - just needs to be large enough [​IMG]

3. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    70%cocoa :

For two large ducks and a small mallard you'd need 3 feet x 3 feet for a night house as a bare minimum. I am not sure how many inches are in a foot (we do metres and centimetres here) but both those doghouses sound too small to me. An insulated doghouse would be great in principle - just needs to be large enough [​IMG]

x2

They usually say about 3-6 sq/ft per duck(depending on the size). For muscovy hens you may want around 5 sq/ft per duck and for the mallard around 3 sq/ft. But, that is my opinion, taken with a grain of salt.​

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I have a 30"x30" dog house for 2 runners for night time lock up. I could fit 2 more in there max. And they are small girls.
    My neighbor has muscovies, not sure I would be able to fit 2 of them in there very comfortably.

5. Blob Chicken

Nov 2, 2009
    70%cocoa :

In Canada we use the metric system too !!! [​IMG] So your centimetres and metres and whatnot all make sence to me [​IMG]

6. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    LOL, I had thought that Canadians did metric [​IMG]

I have 8 Swedish ducks in a night house that's 2.4 metres x 1.5 metres. Except the house is divided in half and 5 share one half and 3 share the other half. So each group has 1.2m x 1.5m (for non-metric people, the group of 5 ducks get 3.8 sq feet each). This area is alright for 5 but I definitely wouldn't go lower than that for ducks the size of Swedish (on the large side of medium). I should also add that the duck house is 1.7m high (about 5.5 feet) and there are ventilation gaps on both sides near the roof, so the height helps to prevent it getting steamy and is one reason I can get away with an allocation of space that's on the smaller side.

Bearing in mind the height issue, I'm going to revise my earlier estimate and say that, in a dog house, I think that 1.2m x 1.2m would be good for the ducks you have. That's 15sq ft altogether. Edit: That's assuming normal sized Mussies (what we call 'Scovies here) plus the mallard. But if your Mussies are small and its just the two of them with no mallard then you could get away with 9 sq ft (that's about 90cm x 100cm).

It'd need some airflow under the roofline although it's always a balance between ventilation and heat loss. I know it gets pretty chilly in Canada (spent a winter in Saskatchewan once - brrrrrr!!!).

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  7. Blob Chicken

Nov 2, 2009
  8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I don't think so besides it would be a total bugger to clean in the winter lol

9. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    No. It's hard very hard to clean something that size. and a regular muscovey drake may not be able to fit in that tiny little doghouse that is ment for a a thin little dog not fat big duck. plus insulating it would take a bit more space. unless it has a gap between the inside and out side walls ( i highly doubt it with it being soooo small) you would have to add a peace of wood to the inside and use the spy in insulation.

10. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

It sure is a cute house! My muskovies just hang out in the snow in winter. If it gets really cold and windy/stormy I will put them in the barn. They are really hardy birds! Terri O

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by