Would This Be A Form of Harassment?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by herfrds, Jul 24, 2013.

1. herfrds

herfrds Songster

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Still having trouble at work.
    I have one co-worker that will come bag groceries for me and starts bumping me. I move away and she follows and continues bumping me. I have ended up pinned between her and the till because of this. I have had enough. I am ready to quit because of her and the floor supervisor.
    The floor super puts off some vibes that you can tell she does not like you. Won't tell me what has been done so I go into work blind on what has been done.
    I hurt my back last month and Dr. put me on light duty and the super told people I was faking it.

I just did not want to go to work yesterday, which is weird for me since I normally like my job.

Should I talk to the owners about what is going on or just put in my 2 weeks notice and find another job? Not many jobs around here and I really like the store owners.

2. Whittni

Whittni Crowing

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    If the other co-worker is touching you repeatedly then yes, that is a form of harassment. You shouldn't have to change your job because of them. You have the right to feel safe and comfortable at work. Talk to the people in charge and file complaints about the other worker and see if they need video evidence.

3. Cluky

Cluky Songster

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    I would talk to whomever is in charge. they should be vested in listening since their business can get in trouble for you being bullied like this!

4. herfrds

herfrds Songster

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Thank You!
    I will talk to the owners before my shift tomorrow.

5. canesisters

canesisters Songster

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    Have you said anything to the person who is bumping you? Maybe something like "OH! Excuse me, I didn't realize that I was in your way." Repeatedly, every time they do it. Or stand your ground and accidentally step on their foot whenever they get too close?
    I'm not saying the behavior is ok - but I've found that many times people are just 'weird' and don't' realize that their actions bother someone else. Maybe she thinks she's just playing with you.
    Worth a try.

6. Arielle

Arielle Crowing

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    If you have given your immediate boss the chance to address the issue and it is not to your satisfaction, then go to that person's boss. Keep records, write down everything that is promised.

I know it is not fun when you want to stay home from work. THat is a tell-tale sign you need to take action. Hopefully are well liked by the bosses and can get this resolved. Just understand this will not make the immediate boss like you, and may create more strain. BUt if you hate your job than what is there to lose?

Good luck talking with the owners. [​IMG]

Harassment has legal definitions in the work force. WHile you find this irritating, it does not fit the definitions of sexual harassment which is the only harassment defined. This does not negate how you feel about it. DO you feel unsafe? Or is your space being invaded? I suspect the person needs some help understanding the value of personal space. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  7. herfrds

herfrds Songster

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Well went into town. One of the owners was there. I talked with them and told them flat out that I was tired of the attitude from the super. Told them about this other person bumping me all the time. I told them that it needs to stop because I was sick of this hostile environment that these people are creating and if it does not stop then I had no option but to quit.
    They told me they did not want me to quit because of this and they were going to address this issue. said they cannot do anything about the vibes, but they can get the bumping to stop.

So now I just wait to see if anything changes.

8. Arielle

Arielle Crowing

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Oh they are responsible for the atmosphere and looks and attitute of your supervisor. Just keep a detailed record of specific occurances.

Hope the bumping stops. [​IMG] You might find it worth checking around for other job opportunities. You just never know what might be available until you look.

9. herfrds

herfrds Songster

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Arielle there is a hint of a different job might be coming up.

The "bumper" did not bag for me so no problem there. She did wear heavy perfume, which I am sensitive to, but I just held my breath if I had to walk by her.
    The super acted nice in front of others but was rude away from people. She might be fooling some people but not all of them. I just stayed away from her too.
    Owners spoke to both of them They are not happy but now they know I won't tolerate them treating me like trash.

10. Arielle

Arielle Crowing

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    THis is a good start. LIke I mentioned above, keep a record of how the super treats you. Keep very specific records so you can show a behavior that is on going and continuous. Date time, incident; keep recording for weeks. It may become a he-said-she said battle but if you have very specific records this will lend credence to your situation. Clearly this is not a person you can trust and is devious.

Glad the "bumper" is off your back!! ANd great idea to hold your breath while walking by since that bothers you. ( I do that too sometimes when women wear too much perfume for my sensitive nose. )

HOpe the situation is now tolerable even if not perfect. Nothing like the angst of needing a job but hating it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: