Would this be a late hatcher?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rooster brandon., Nov 21, 2010.

1. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    That golden laced cochin bantam eggs that i found and it went into the incubator well its day 17 for him and there is only a black dot about half the size of a peny and a really blacker dot inside it (possibly the eye) would he be a late hatcher the power went out over night and would that delay development a little in the egg what should i do is there any sighs i should look for to see if he is alive and still growing.......Please help.......

2. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    Shouldn't there be movement?

3. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    rooster brandon. :

That golden laced cochin bantam eggs that i found and it went into the incubator well its day 17 for him and there is only a black dot about half the size of a peny and a really blacker dot inside it (possibly the eye) would he be a late hatcher the power went out over night and would that delay development a little in the egg what should i do is there any sighs i should look for to see if he is alive and still growing.......Please help.......

First of all when you candle do you see it moving?

It sounds like this little baby may have quit developing sometime around day 10-12.

Yes the power can effect development but usually only sets them back by about a day depending on how long the power was out.​

4. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Yes if it is still a viable embryo you will see movement.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

By day 17 the chick should be taking up basically the whole egg except the air cell. If all you're seeing is a black dot the chick is not developing.....that amount of time would not delay development that much.

6. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    So hes a quieter but there is another egg that the egg is like half full and when well its like a huge yolk that when you turn the egg in your hand it just like swims around half the egg is taken up is that good?

7. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    rooster brandon. :

So hes a quieter but there is another egg that the egg is like half full and when well its like a huge yolk that when you turn the egg in your hand it just like swims around half the egg is taken up is that good?

If you hold the egg still...does the embryo move on its own or does the mass only move when you turn the egg?

At 17 days the egg should appear to be very full and dark like Katy stated previously and you should be able to see very little in there.​

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

rooster brandon. :

Sorry, but it doesn't sound promising for that egg either. You should see movement when you hold the egg still....not when you move it.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by