Would this be a Male?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Honey1, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Honey1

Honey1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2008
    Michigan
    I have 4 Jumbo Brown Coturnix that are just over a week old now. I have one chick that for the last day or so will stand straight up & flap it's little wings and make kind of a trilling noise.
    Is this Male behavior, or just chick behavior? None of the others are doing it.
    (I'm trying not to read too much in though I really am hoping I have 3 girls & a boy :>)

2. Kwartel

Kwartel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like a little male to me.

3. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Me too. If you can be just a little patient a little longer, you will know for sure in a little over a week, defiantely in 2 weeks.

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    It's really hard to know the sex at that age. It could be a male but you never know [​IMG]

5. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

i have a female J.brown that was hatched on 9/9 that does that and a male Mancharian from the same hatching date that does it too. mine will be 3 weeks tomorrow and i can tell the sex of all but my english whites...NONE of them act like boys and of course you can't tell by chest markings
    ...How old do they have to be to sex this color anyway?

6. Kwartel

Jul 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Quote:You can vent sex them by pressing lightly down just behind the vent (near the tail). A male will have a small bump just inside that will be visible, while a female will not. A male will also produce white foam if he is in breeding-mode.

7. Valley quail breeder

Valley quail breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    Just like my buddy down in Florida would say grab a beer and beer sex um and watch which one crows in the coturnix is a male.... or you can vent sex them.... Cool video to learn about vent sexing a chick to determine the sex, Check it out....

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  8. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You can vent sex them by pressing lightly down just behind the vent (near the tail). A male will have a small bump just inside that will be visible, while a female will not. A male will also produce white foam if he is in breeding-mode.

know HOW to sex them ...just hadn't tried yet cuz i didn't know if they were old enough to tell ...

9. Kwartel

Jul 7, 2010
    Oklahoma

know HOW to sex them ...just hadn't tried yet cuz i didn't know if they were old enough to tell ...

Three weeks is old enough to vent sex. You can do it at any age, but younger chicks are more delicate.

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:know HOW to sex them ...just hadn't tried yet cuz i didn't know if they were old enough to tell ...

Three weeks is old enough to vent sex. You can do it at any age, but younger chicks are more delicate.

That's vent sexing if you are looking for the shape of the vent, if you are vent sexing by looking for the foam, it's probably too early. 4-6 weeks (in season) would be better for that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by